Sign in to follow this  
KorFan32

TSL Patcher crashing when installing mod

Hello.
I have recently reinstalled KOTOR 1, and was looking to install one of my favourite mods, the Multiple Force Kill and Plague.
The problem is when i hit "install mod" it freezes up for a mid second before returning the error "2da tlk and gff file patcher. has stopped working".
It doesn't start except for a line that says "Appending strings to TLK file C:\Program Files (x86)\Lucasarts\SWKotor\Dialog.tlk".
The weird thing is that if i change the flag "Lookupgamefolder" in changes.ini and point it to KOTOR 2, it works and installs the mod correctly.
Now, i've been looking for 3 versions of the mod archive online, on filefront:

• The first version, that is called "ki_multi.zip".
  • The second version, that is called "kill_plague_multi.zip" (the "fixed" version)
  • Another version on Moddb that is called "Kill_Plague_multi_force_power.zip".

All of them if pointed to KOTOR 2 they work, but on KOTOR 1 they freeze and crash.
I remember that it used to work years ago on my KOTOR 1 installation.
In the description it says conflicting info:

Multiple Kill & Plague
For Knights of the Old Republic I
Installing mod:

- Be sure that you have override folder in your Kotor II directory.

- TSL Patcher will automatically install the modification, and patch the 2da files if needed.

This mod will add two new Force powers to Kotor I.
Their effects:
The first one is multiple Kill Force power, it makes the same effects like old ones but for all enemies in 12 meters!
The second one is multiple Plague Force power, it makes the same effects like old ones but for all enemies in 12 meters!
You may get both of them on level 14.

Made by Lit Ridl
e-mail: read753@yandex.ru
Thanks to:
STOFFE – for HER TSL Patcher (also it works for KI)
Shem – he forced me to make this mod and have made icon for multiple kill
All in Holowan Laboratories for support

My KOTOR installation is a retail CD version.
I tried also on a vanilla 1.03 dialog.tlk but it still crashes, tried using compatibility mode, nothing.
All other TSLPatcher for KOTOR 1 mods work fine and don't crash, only this one does.
Can anyone help out or at least have a version of this mod for KOTOR 1?
Thanks.

Kill_Plague_Multi_Force_Power.zip kill_plague_multi.zip ki_multi.zip

Try going to C:\Program Files (x86)\Lucasarts\SWKotor and make sure you have full permission to edit that folder and any files in it. It sounds like it's failing due to lack of writing permission for dialog.tlk. Not a lot of mods edit dialog.tlk, and it sounds like other mods are able to read the game folder from the registry correctly, and there is probably nothing wrong with the installation instructions if you were able to get it to run successfully somewhere else, so a permission issue seems the most likely culprit to me.

Also, make sure you do not have the game or modding tools such as KOTOR Tool running while trying to install the mod. Anything reading from dialog.tlk could temporarily block writing permissions, too.

23 hours ago, JCarter426 said:

Try going to C:\Program Files (x86)\Lucasarts\SWKotor and make sure you have full permission to edit that folder and any files in it. It sounds like it's failing due to lack of writing permission for dialog.tlk. Not a lot of mods edit dialog.tlk, and it sounds like other mods are able to read the game folder from the registry correctly, and there is probably nothing wrong with the installation instructions if you were able to get it to run successfully somewhere else, so a permission issue seems the most likely culprit to me.

Also, make sure you do not have the game or modding tools such as KOTOR Tool running while trying to install the mod. Anything reading from dialog.tlk could temporarily block writing permissions, too.

Thanks for the reply, i also tried moving up the folder to C:\ or my secondary HDD and still pointing it up it crashes the tsl patcher, but if i point it to KOTOR 2 folder it installs that, that's why i'm thinking that it's a KOTOR 2 version that was spread online.
I remember it used to work years ago when i had the old filefront version that was from JediSheml (at least from his video on youtube when i first looked it up) but filefront turned offline and my old HDD died so i have no idea if this mod online it's for KOTOR 2.
I need someone to test it or give me a working K1 version.
At least the manual instructions to install this using the KOTOR tools.
Because as i've said above, none of the TSL patcher mods have ever given me this problem.