Sign in to follow this  
Masamune753

MOD:[K1] Companion Sidequest Rewards

[K1] Companion Sidequest Rewards

Brings a version of TSL’s richer companion interactions to K1. Grants character specific benefits after finishing their sidequests.

Description:

I am a big believer that story and gameplay should effect each other as much as possible. In TSL that is fulfilled by lots of real benefits for engaging with party members. The same should be true for K1...but the features just aren't there. The bones for what we see in TSL exists as the upgrade system for HK-47, so that is the foundation I built this on.

This mod works by leveling up companions and equipping custom items to their hidden inventory slot when you finish their relevant quest or dialog. The goal is to provide some unique incentive for fully experiencing each character's storyline.

The specific triggers for each rewards are below (potential spoilers):

Spoiler
  • Carth → Finding Dustil
  • Mission → Mission’s brother
  • Canderous → Jagi’s Challenge
  • Zaalbar → Chieftain in Need
  • Juhani → Threat from Xor
  • Jolee → After Final Dialogue
  • HK-47 → Finishing repairs 
  • T3-M4 → New dialog after becoming a Jedi

Each party member, besides Bastila, will receive the following bonuses (Mod/Story Spoilers):

Spoiler
  • Carth (All Weapon Specializations)
    • The trauma has held back Carth. Finding Dustil helps Carth remember who he was, a battle-trained hero of the republic.
  • Mission (Will +8)
    • Mission will become more resistant to mental effects due to experiencing and seeing through yet another con job from her brother (and spending time with you).
  • Canderous (Ability to equip a lightsaber; Plus Focus + Specialization Feat)
    • Considering his strength build, his association with Jedi, and other Mandalorian lightsaber users, this feels like a unique boost to his character.
    • Canderous can now be given the Darksaber through new dialog options after obtaining the item AND his sidequest. It will function differently for Canderous than it did originally.
  • Zaalbar (+5 defense)
    • Part of the culmination of his storyline is the implication he will return to lead his people one day. I think this would shift his sense of self-preservation (exiled vs. future leader).
  • Juhani (Alignment shift +/- 21)
    • Whether or not you push Juhani to murder Xor in rage will move her alignment 2 categories in either direction, making some powers less expensive to use
  • Jolee (No other bonuses)
    • Jolee doesn't really have a big moment where the narrative merits a particular benefit
  • HK-47
    • No bonuses, since HK already gets several bonuses throughout the repair process
  • T3-M4 (Upgrade Bench)
    • Interacting with T3-M4 after becoming a Jedi will allow you to re-program your utility droid to also act as an upgrade bench.

Some quests can end in more than one way, in those cases rewards will be granted (or not) in a way that makes sense for the character. If you are not seeing a reward (Level up + bonus) after finishing a quest, you should after having a follow-up discussion with them.

For some, K1's difficulty can already feel low. While I have done my best to keep these bonuses balanced, completing these quests will increase the overall power of your party. Because of this, I'd recommend a mod that increases the overall difficulty, such as Zulkain's Impossible Difficulty Restored.

Compatibility (updated 3/4/2022):

Spoiler

This mod should be compatible with any mod that does not make extensive changes to the following dialog files:

• k_hcar_dialog.dlg (Carth global dialog)
  • k_hjol_dialog.dlg (Jolee global dialog)
  • k_hmis_dialog.dlg (Mission global dialog)
  • kas_xor_dialog.dlg (Xor “global” dialog)
  • k_hzaa_dialog.dlg (Zaalbar global dialog)

However, this mod will be incompatible with any mod that makes any change to T3-M4 or Canderous' global dialog (for them specifically, everyone else will be unaffected):

•  k_htmd_dialog.dlg (T3-M4 global dialog)
  • k_hcan_dialog.dlg (Canderous global dialog)

This mod will also be incompatible with any mode that replaces baseitems.2da (for Canderous specifically, everyone else will be unaffected)

• baseitems.2da

Any mod that changes the hide item (hidden armor slot) for your party companions. This will remove the actual buff your party members receive, though they will still retain the extra XP that leveled them up.

Known Bugs (updated 3/4/2022):

Spoiler
  • Leveling up will not always trigger when on the Ebon Hawk. Leaving the ship should trigger the prompt.
  • Bonuses are attached through specific dialog choices for each character. Sometimes these conversations can be triggered multiple times. This should not stack the actual bonuses.
    • Sometimes bonuses can "stack", but the additional stat bonus will correct itself when moving between areas.
  • Attempting to upgrade the lightsaber granted through this mod will make the lightsaber disappear. Will provide fix in next update. (Fixed v1.1)

Permissions:

• Please do not redistribute this mod on another platform without my permission, unless I cannot be reached for 3 months time.
  • Anyone is free to use any of the content of this mod in whatever projects/mods they want as long as they credit me where appropriate.

Credits:

• Darksaber UTI/Model/Texture – Jcarter426
  • Big thanks to Thor110 for directing me to his video tutorial on Kotor modding!
  • Additional gratitude for DarthParametric as they talked through issues
  • Huge thanks to ebmar for helping me clean up my change.ini for TSLpatcher
  • JC & Sdub for helping me figure out Xor’s real .dlg file
  • StellarExile & N-Drew25 for taking a look at my mod before release
  • Blue for their Kotor Scripting Tool
  • Fred Tetra for KotOR Tool
  • tk102 for their DLGEditor
  • Stoffe & Fair Strides - TSLPatcher

(Original Credits for JC's Darksaber for K1)

• DeNCS – JdNoa & Dashus
  • ERFEdit – stoffe, with updates by Fair Strides
  • NWMax – Joco
  • KOTORMax & MDLEdit – bead-v
  • NWNSSCOMP – Torlack, stoffe, & tk102
  • Saber – Andrew Kramer & VideoCopilot.net
  • tga2tpc – ndix UR

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    01/23/2022
  • Category
  • K1R Compatible