YourSoul1sMine

MDLedit

Hello ladies and gentlemen. Does anybody know what the difference between saving a mdl file as a ascii or binary file and to batch convert a mdl file to a ascii or binary file?

On 10/30/2021 at 12:25 AM, DarthParametric said:

Exactly what it sounds like. Batch does the operation on a group of selected files. The other option is for a single file.

I like to ask you a question DarthParametric. I've been converting certain PC .mdl/.mdx files to xbox format and this HK-47 model got glitches like this. I'm currently using a RGH Xbox 360 on BC. Is this a model issue, emulation issue, or both?

Model Error 2.png

Model Error 1.png

10 hours ago, YourSoul1sMine said:

RGH Xbox 360 on BC

You say that like I'm supposed to know what it is, but I gather from your subsequent comment that the game is running under a 360 emulator. Assuming everything else is working correctly, it's mostly likely a MDLEdit issue with the conversion. Make sure you are using the most recent beta version, not the outdated one from the official release thread.

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2021 at 11:35 PM, DarthParametric said:

You say that like I'm supposed to know what it is, but I gather from your subsequent comment that the game is running under a 360 emulator. Assuming everything else is working correctly, it's mostly likely a MDLEdit issue with the conversion. Make sure you are using the most recent beta version, not the outdated one from the official release thread.

Hello DarthParametic. I heeded what you said and I'm currently using the latest beta version of MDLedit and got results like this. I converted Fenharel's HK-47, ebmar's Janice Nall and Incomplete Droids, Selven, Rakghoul Fiend and VarsityPuppet's Ajunta Pall models and Rakghoul Fiend, Janice Nall, HK-47 and Incomplete Droids function just fine. But Selven and Ajunta Pall's models are having issues. Do you know if it's better to batch convert to ASCII first and then batch convert to binary or just save the .mdl as a binary? Also, do you know if MDLOps can export models to xbox binary?

20211121_010738.jpg

20211121_012138.jpg

20211121_010548.jpg

20211121_012333_HDR.jpg

20211121_012414_HDR.jpg

20211121_013042.jpg

MDLEdit decompiles a binary model into memory when loaded, so there's no need to generate physical ASCIIs unless you intend to load them in Max/GMax.

I don't believe MDLOps supports the Xbox format, no.

Perhaps @seedhartha could be convinced to add Xbox support to KBlender (which now imports/exports binaries directly) if you ask nicely.

I'm not familiar with the differences between the PC and Xbox formats, so I couldn't really say what in particular could be causing issues. The only time I have seen something similar is with ye olde MDLOps mangling meshes, so my guess would be that MDLEdit is doing something incorrectly for those models for some reason.

I have added Xbox model support to KotorBlender 3.4.2. @YourSoul1sMine, you might want to check if it handles your models better than MDLedit does. From my experience porting the code, some data in Xbox models is compressed, and MDLedit compression code is off and may result in integer overflow.

On 11/21/2021 at 3:35 AM, seedhartha said:

I have added Xbox model support to KotorBlender 3.4.2. @YourSoul1sMine, you might want to check if it handles your models better than MDLedit does. From my experience porting the code, some data in Xbox models is compressed, and MDLedit compression code is off and may result in integer overflow.

I tried to use Blender 2.93, however, I don't have a computer at home and I go to my local library to use their computers for my project and I received a error saying the computer doesn't have a supported drive or graphics card. Do you mind examining the models for me and see if the models can be fixed? 

Models in Xbox format.zip

Imported these in KotorBlender and re-exported. Let me know if it did the job.

These models seem fine. The only thing out of order was that root object name did not match the model name. Artifacts you've experienced are more likely caused by skeletal animation (QBone/TBone), not name mismatch or vector compression. Luckily, this is what KotorBlender also does better.

xbox_models_fixed.zip

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 12:23 AM, seedhartha said:

Imported these in KotorBlender and re-exported. Let me know if it did the job.

These models seem fine. The only thing out of order was that root object name did not match the model name. Artifacts you've experienced are more likely caused by skeletal animation (QBone/TBone), not name mismatch or vector compression. Luckily, this is what KotorBlender also does better.

xbox_models_fixed.zip 648.12 kB · 1 download

I tested the fixed models and the models are still distorted. My theory is since i'm using a Xbox 360 to emulate the game, the emulator has complications with emulating certain new models or textures. I have a texture error when using Dark Hope's PMHA05 texture mod. So, maybe any new models or textures has to be the exact same or identical to its original model or texture. Also, I used CXBX-Reloaded emulator on PC to experiment the Xbox version with certain mods. And when using head mods like redrob41 Playable Enchani x6 mod, the faces appear black.  I don't think these errors occur if someone was playing on a Softmod Original Xbox with these mods. This just my theory.

20211201_023621.jpg

20211201_024045.jpg

20211201_024849.jpg