Malkior

Modelling edits for Area Models and their various trials

That's why you hit that handy "never show me this message again" checkbox. Max is very sensitive about out of order stack changes, even though they rarely have any actual consequence.

As for the first one, I've also been getting it, but it only started recently and I haven't noticed it cause any problems.

As for duplicating, you can drag holding Shift and then there's also Edit → Clone.

That did the trick, thank you very much DP :D

On 3/23/2020 at 6:09 AM, bead-v said:

As for the first one, I've also been getting it, but it only started recently and I haven't noticed it cause any problems.

As for duplicating, you can drag holding Shift and then there's also Edit → Clone.

Dumb question, but I Clone an Instance rather than a Copy, right?

Not for KOTOR work, no. Instances are duplicates that inherit the properties of the parent (and also vice-versa in Max's implementation). It's an extremely useful tool for rendering, since it uses far less memory than unique copies. In this case you need to select Copy. That will make a unique object that you can edit freely without affecting the original.

5 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

Not for KOTOR work, no. Instances are duplicates that inherit the properties of the parent (and also vice-versa in Max's implementation). It's an extremely useful tool for rendering, since it uses far less memory than unique copies. In this case you need to select Copy. That will make a unique object that you can edit freely without affecting the original.

Okay. So far, I can't find an "Invert" modifier. You said to delete the vertices from the original then to invert the duplicate before deleting everything except the vertices deleted in the original, right? Am I flipping the normals, or is there some way to invert all of the vertices?

10 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

GMax_Invert_Selection_TH.gif

.... Right...

Okay, I have the mesh separated and cloned. Do I weld the new one to the old mesh, or is there something else needed? Am I adding the geometry before I weld it, or am I welding it at all?

You keep the meshes separate. That was the entire point of splitting them. The original mesh (sans neck? I gather this is your collar thing?) can be left as-is. The new mesh you can just collapse the stack and do whatever you need to do to it to get the results you desire. You can add a new skin modifier later once any modelling is done.