offthegridmorty

Bump maps for water textures not working in Mac Aspyr version of TSL?

I'm not extremely knowledgeable about this stuff and haven't seen anyone talk about it but I was hoping someone here knows something.

The bump maps for the water textures are not showing up in vanilla TSL for Mac (from the App store). The texture is there and transparent but there is no "bumpyshinytexture" effect. I've attached a picture of this. The pictured texture is DAN_water03N, but it seems to be a problem with all water in the game. Also, I can override the texture file but I tried putting a new .txi with different effects or values to see if I could change anything like the transparency but it didn't seem to do anything.

AFAIK this isn't just a problem with my computer; you can see it in this Youtube video at 20:26. It looks like he is using the Aspyr version, though I don't know if it is on Mac. I'm running macOS Mojave with Intel graphics. I know KOTOR is notoriously weird with these Intel cards but the water bump maps work fine in KOTOR 1 on the same computer so I'm hesitant to blame it on that.

I was just wondering if anyone had insight into why this is happening? I doubt it would be a problem if there was an easy fix, but I'm just interested if anybody knows anything, or can confirm whether they've ever seen this with the Aspyr version on either Mac or Windows.

DAN_water03N_nobumpmap.png

If they (aspyr) are just launching wine or crossover mac on mac os to run Kotor 2, then most likely this is an issue with the version of Wine being used for Kotor 2 for Mac. I believe Kotor 1 runs native on Mac OS where as Kotor 2 is not compiled for Mac but instead just run inside a wine container.

I did not know that. If anything I have had more graphical issues with K1 (frame buffer effects working sporadically) than TSL, aside from this bump map issue. But why would the app running in wine cause this problem?

Many if not all of the other bump maps render fine. It seems to only be the water textures. Maybe it has something to do with the textures being animated?

Yeah the native builds of Kotor 1 for Mac OS have always seemed to have a few issues.

in terms of the textures, the animations could be a likely culprit. You may be able to go into the kotor 2 apps container files and upgrade the wine components to a new build to fix the issue. To be honest if you own it on steam, it may be worth it to run steam in wine on your Mac. Then you can take full advantage of all the TSLPatcher mods.

Ok, I’ll see if that’s possible. Thanks.

The TSLPatcher mods are not a problem. I can install those into the App Store version using wine. I do own the game on Steam but it is also the Mac version unfortunately so I can’t try that. It’s only a small issue so no big deal I’m just confused why it’s happening.