Sign in to follow this  
Icewolfer93

Windows 7 with TSLRCM 1.7 Problems

So I was suddenly inspired to try and re-boot KOTOR II back up. (I haven't tried any of the restored content yet.) So I have a laptop with Windows 7 Professional (32 bit) on it. I installed KOTOR II making compatibility modes set to run compatibility with Windows XP Service Pack 3 and Administrator option enabled. It installed successfully. I then obtained the 1.0b patch from lucasarts.com and according to many websites to run KOTOR II on Windows 7/Vista you need to rename Mss32.dll to Mss32.BAK and replace Mss32.dll. I then downloaded and installed the 1.7 TSLRCM Content download from this website. It installed properly and I tried finally running the game (saw beautiful new menu) However when I click game it says something about inserting the original disc in ? drive... It seems others have experienced this problem, but I can't seem to fix it no matter what I do, is there anyway to get KOTOR II running on Windows 7 with the restored content mod TSLRCM 1.7? Thanks!

I actually decided to start from scratch and instead of assuming that KOTOR II would not work with my Windows 7 I tried increments this time. I uninstalled and re-installed KOTOR II from scratch. The only adjustments I made was to install it in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3. After installing and running KOTORII.exe (in same compatibility mode) the game worked! I then proceeded to go to Lucasarts.com to download the 1.0b update and after trying to run the game again, it would not work anymore, coming up with the previously mentioned error message about incorrect disc. Is it possible to run KOTORII alongside the TSLRCM 1.7 mod without the 1.0b update? (Like later on in the game would I encounter many crashes and errors or do you think I'll get along fine without the 1.0b update)

Odd. I can install 1.0b fine on my Windows7 (albeit 64-bit). Don´t have the mss32.dll requirement.

Only thing I can think of is; do you use the correct 1.0b? Only US versions need just that. Others require 1.0a first, then 1.0b, but NOT the US version...

Guest phanboy_iv

Odd. I can install 1.0b fine on my Windows7 (albeit 64-bit). Don´t have the mss32.dll requirement.

Only thing I can think of is; do you use the correct 1.0b? Only US versions need just that. Others require 1.0a first, then 1.0b, but NOT the US version...

I've had a similar problem with my disk-based version of KOTOR II, basically the SecuROM DRM doesn't like newer versions of Windows sometimes. The mss32.dll fix is IIRC related to that, but for some people that doesn't work. One person contacted SecuROM and they sent him a 'repacked' 1.0b exe with a newer version of SecuROM. (See here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2562645&postcount=2)

I had a similar problem with Fable: TLC on Vista. Sometimes outdated DRM causes more problems than it fixes. Simply proves the fact that disc checks only punish legitimate buyers. Wish LucasArts had removed the silly SecuROM check with a patch but sadly they dropped the game like a newborn giraffe.

I actually decided to start from scratch and instead of assuming that KOTOR II would not work with my Windows 7 I tried increments this time. I uninstalled and re-installed KOTOR II from scratch. The only adjustments I made was to install it in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3. After installing and running KOTORII.exe (in same compatibility mode) the game worked! I then proceeded to go to Lucasarts.com to download the 1.0b update and after trying to run the game again, it would not work anymore, coming up with the previously mentioned error message about incorrect disc. Is it possible to run KOTORII alongside the TSLRCM 1.7 mod without the 1.0b update? (Like later on in the game would I encounter many crashes and errors or do you think I'll get along fine without the 1.0b update)

Well I do have Windows 7 32 bit mode... I will say when I re-installed it I never tried altering any dll files... But regardless of any messing around with dll files I'm unable to install the 1.0b patch without the disc screw-up message. Right now I have the game installed along with the 1.7 restoration mod and the game seems to be working fine. I haven't gotten far in the game but I just finished the Prologue and am now on Peragus. I haven't encountered any crash problems yet and it seems to run smoother on my Windows 7 laptop then my original Windows XP desktop that I first ran it on.

Is there anything I should avoid in the game that might cause a major crash (where I can't continue) because I'm unable to install the 1.0b patch? (I know I'm installing the correct one because it's from lucasarts.com and I live in the US.)

So I was suddenly inspired to try and re-boot KOTOR II back up. (I haven't tried any of the restored content yet.) So I have a laptop with Windows 7 Professional (32 bit) on it. I installed KOTOR II making compatibility modes set to run compatibility with Windows XP Service Pack 3 and Administrator option enabled. It installed successfully. I then obtained the 1.0b patch from lucasarts.com and according to many websites to run KOTOR II on Windows 7/Vista you need to rename Mss32.dll to Mss32.BAK and replace Mss32.dll. I then downloaded and installed the 1.7 TSLRCM Content download from this website. It installed properly and I tried finally running the game (saw beautiful new menu) However when I click game it says something about inserting the original disc in ? drive... It seems others have experienced this problem, but I can't seem to fix it no matter what I do, is there anyway to get KOTOR II running on Windows 7 with the restored content mod TSLRCM 1.7? Thanks!

So long story short not blaming anything or anyone, however I was playing KOTOR II on the laptop originally described above, and now my laptop is shot. Examined it and it appears that my harddrive or graphics / video card went bad. I have never had problems with my laptop until yesterday I had KOTOR II on pause, came back to my laptop after a few seconds and it stated Windows had an incorrect shut down problem (as if the power had gone out) And now Windows is inaccessible (just black screen with red graphical distortion). Is there any chance that because KOTOR II was not designed for Windows 7 or newer graphics card that it fried either my hard drive or video card?

I've also had my videocard die on me, while playing KOTOR2. But I hardly think it's the game. It just happened to run at that time (as it does frequently these days)...

Yeah, laptop video cards are bad. Moreover, laptops tend to overheat easily...

You must be or have:

Windows XP SP3 or Windows Vista SP2 or Windows 7 SP1

Obligatory

Use Windows Update

DirectX 9.0C or +

Obligatory

Use DxDiag

http://assiste.free.fr/kotor_2/000_installation_fr.html#install_version_de_directx

OpenGL 1.4 or +

Obligatory

Use SiSoft Sandra Lite

http://assiste.free.fr/kotor_2/000_installation_fr.html#install_version_de_opengl

Graphic driver updated

Obligatory

Audio driver updated

Obligatory

Note mss32.dll is Miles Sound Sytsem dll (it's not a patch of K2 or a "Vista fix"). Useless in my case and in quite all cases for Kotor 1. Completely useless for K2.

On multicore machines, once installed and patched and modded, run K2 in normal mode, then run the task manager and put k2 in monocore mode (and in Windows XP SP3 mode). If it runs fine, this is a temporary modification. To make it permanent, use Bill2's Process Manager to memorize the rule. Note that on my multicore / Win 7/64 machine, my K2 is not set to monocore and runs fine.

TTLan

Guest staticjoe66

After reinstalling Winblows AGAIN I'm running W7 Ultimate x64 on an AMD 4600 dual core CPU with a BFG Nvidia 7800GS video card overclocked with RivaTuner. I have installed and played the game using the Vista fix--as W7 is nothing but an updated version of Vista--without any problems so your list of "must haves" is slightly inaccurate to say the least...

Useless in my case and in quite all cases for Kotor 1

Could this be because on FileFront there is NO Vista fix for KOTOR? I know this because I just looked--also the readme for the K2 Vista patch itself doesn't state it's compatible with KOTOR

Note mss32.dll is Miles Sound Sytsem dll (it's not a patch of K2 or a "Vista fix"). Completely useless for K2.

I've used the patch for each playthrough on Vista or W7 and I have NEVER had a problem which wasn't inherent to the game itself or caused by a mod conflict--on what are you basing this statement?

On multicore machines, once installed and patched and modded, run K2 in normal mode, then run the task manager and put k2 in monocore mode (and in Windows XP SP3 mode). If it runs fine, this is a temporary modification. To make it permanent, use Bill2's Process Manager to memorize the rule. Note that on my multicore / Win 7/64 machine, my K2 is not set to monocore and runs fine.

Not once have I EVER had to do this...

You must be or have:

Windows XP SP3 or Windows Vista SP2 or Windows 7 SP1

Obligatory

Use Windows Update

DirectX 9.0C or +

Obligatory

Use DxDiag

http://assiste.free....sion_de_directx

OpenGL 1.4 or +

Obligatory

Use SiSoft Sandra Lite

http://assiste.free....rsion_de_opengl

Graphic driver updated

Obligatory

Audio driver updated

Obligatory

Note mss32.dll is Miles Sound Sytsem dll (it's not a patch of K2 or a "Vista fix"). Useless in my case and in quite all cases for Kotor 1. Completely useless for K2.

TTLan

Is there any chance that because KOTOR II was not designed for Windows 7 or newer graphics card that it fried either my hard drive or video card?

I'm running a Vista laptop with an overqualified graphics card. KOTOR and TSL were basically my life for about 5 months and my video card shows no signs of dying. However, I do always play video games with Vsync on as running too many frames per second can overwork and fry your computer. Besides, the human eye really can't perceive the difference between anything higher than 30 frames per second. No reason to have something run at 3000 frames per second.

Could this be because on FileFront there is NO Vista fix for KOTOR? I know this because I just looked--also the readme for the K2 Vista patch itself doesn't state it's compatible with KOTOR

Actually, it should work for both since they both use the same .dll file. I've never needed to use it for KOTOR since I have the Best of PC version, but the comments verify this and I have actually just copied and pasted the .dll file from KOTOR into TSL's file and had it work fine.

I've used the patch for each playthrough on Vista or W7 and I have NEVER had a problem which wasn't inherent to the game itself or caused by a mod conflict--on what are you basing this statement?

The patch worked fine for me until I uninstalled TSL and then had to reinstall it. After that, I always got the "This program has stopped working" or whatever every time I tried to open it even with the patch. But I was able to work around this by taking the .dll file from KOTOR Best of PC and use that in the TSL file (as stated above).

Not once have I EVER had to do this...

Neither have I, but this is a "fix" that's listed quite frequently on other websites. No idea why.

I'm running a Vista laptop with an overqualified graphics card. KOTOR and TSL were basically my life for about 5 months and my video card shows no signs of dying. However, I do always play video games with Vsync on as running too many frames per second can overwork and fry your computer. Besides, the human eye really can't perceive the difference between anything higher than 30 frames per second. No reason to have something run at 3000 frames per second.

I don't remember if I had VSync on, however is there a chance that having that option turned on overworked my graphics card? I'm asking because heck ordering a new laptop and (obviously) want to play KOTOR II on it, but I don't want to fry it's graphics card because of something I'm doing. So is it recommended to just have VSync off?

Vsynch makes the game really choppy (for me atleast), so I standard have it off.

Got a semi-full (Malachor's not done yet) playthrough with it. So as said, it's really unlikely KOTOR2 did it.

I don't remember if I had VSync on, however is there a chance that having that option turned on overworked my graphics card? I'm asking because heck ordering a new laptop and (obviously) want to play KOTOR II on it, but I don't want to fry it's graphics card because of something I'm doing. So is it recommended to just have VSync off?

I wasn't very clear in my post, but having Vsync off is more likely to kill your video card as it doesn't put a cap on how many frames a game runs per second (hence, 3000 fps can happen). Turning Vsync on makes sure the game does not run above 60 fps at any time and helps preserve your video card. Most people turn Vsync off because it's supposed to yield "better" graphics. This has never been the case for me - having Vsync on has no difference on how the game looks to me than having it on.

However, Vsync on for some (including HH) can make games look very choppy and therefore be difficult to play. As I said before, it's never done so for me, but I've heard it happening to some people.

Guest staticjoe66
Actually, it should work for both since they both use the same .dll file. I've never needed to use it for KOTOR since I have the Best of PC version, but the comments verify this and I have actually just copied and pasted the .dll file from KOTOR into TSL's file and had it work fine.

This is true jjo and I've done the same thing as I too have SWBOPC and install KOTOR from that disk--I was simply pointing out the K2 Vista fix didn't mention being compatible with KOTOR even though many of the game forums I've been on do indeed say it should work as the DLL's are identical

Aside from the always rare exception, any proggy which runs on Vista should run on W7--they are the same file system. W7 is simply what Vista should have been when it was released. Aside from a few enhancements you're talking about the same OS--updated kernel of course and more drivers in its database but under the hood Vista and W7 are very similar