Sign in to follow this  
Salk

[KotOR] NPC Animations

Hello!

While going through dialogue files with DLG Editor I noticed a few instances where HK-47 would be instructed to use the TALK_FORCEFUL animation in his interjections but such animation is not played. Is it because it's missing it?

Where do I see what kind of animations are available for different NPCs?

Thanks!

In HK's case, you'd have to check the model. It's likely he doesn't have that animation. Unlike NPC droids, though, HK should be using the standard humanoid animation set, so a new animation could theoretically be added.

17 minutes ago, JCarter426 said:

HK should be using the standard humanoid animation set

No, HK has his own completely custom anims all on his model. There is no supermodel as he has a unique rig. You could map the standard human anims to his rig, as has been done previously for melee combat (using the Wookiee anims in that instance I believe), but it would require some fiddling.

As to talking animations, he just has talk and tlknorm.

1 hour ago, DarthParametric said:

No, HK has his own completely custom anims all on his model. There is no supermodel as he has a unique rig. You could map the standard human anims to his rig, as has been done previously for melee combat (using the Wookiee anims in that instance I believe), but it would require some fiddling.

Yeah, sorry, that's not what I meant....

1 hour ago, DarthParametric said:

As to talking animations, he just has talk and tlknorm. 

This is the "standard animation set" I was referring to. Not the actual animations, which are of course on the model/supermodel, but the set of animations (basically the names of the animations) that the creature is allowed to use. Full body NPCs typically do not use the humanoid animation set. The rancor model, for example, uses the creature animation set. It doesn't have tlknorm or pause1 or any of the standard animations and in fact cannot be scripted to use them at all because it uses a separate set of creature animations. I believe this is configured in appearance.2da, but it's a moot point because HK uses the standard set. Usually you can't add any more with non-meatbags but you can with HK because he's special.

55 minutes ago, Salk said:

It is a bit of a shame since HK uses an existing threatening pose already (when you equip him with a new weapon). I would be happy with that.

I don't know how well that would work given the way the talk animations work, but theoretically it could be done by copying the animaiton keys and then applying a new animation to the base.

What does HK do currently for the lines with TALK_FORCEFUL? Does he use TALK_NORMAL or does he go back to looping his idle animation?