Sign in to follow this  
dimedius

Help with custom weapon texture tutorial

Hi,

I've found several tutorials about creating and importing a custom weapon or texture tutorials that recolors existing items. I am trying to import a custom tga of a weapon mod I made and the (blaster) shows up in game but cannot for the life of me get the textures to show up properly.

I've exported the textures as a tga and renamed to match the blaster I am currently working on. The blaster is uv'd as well. From my understanding I should be able to just rename it to match the model that I replaced as a tga and it should show up. This is steam and on win 10 so dunno if that makes a difference.

Is there a tool I need to run through in order for the textures to be "converted" and show up in game normally (and it is placed in the override folder).

That already sounds like I'm missing a step.

Currently, the model is acting as a replacer for the first blaster, w_BlstrPstl_001.

The naming conventions are the same, though I assume the w_BlstrPstl_001.tga would be specified in the original blaster model?

I followed this tutorial to import the weapon and the texture replacer tutorials seem pretty straightforward with saving as same_name.tga into the override folder. I may have to look further into the UTI a bit more as I assumed the texture replaced was as simple as placing it into the override.

If you are just trying to replace vanilla textures, then w_blstrpstl_001 through to 005 will replace the 5 variants of the basic blaster pistol in K1, with the addition of 011 and 012 in TSL.

For now I'm just reaching vanilla textures to mess around and find if the textures I make look good. When I'm ready, I might need to add additional items.

Would I need to replace all 5, or is one of the 5 equal to the starter blaster you get on per?

Oh ok that makes a lot of sense. I'm out and about today and will post results later when I get home.

Edit: This did not seem to work.

Just to clarify, if I'm using the 001 model, I should be using the 001 tga (tpc) as well, correct?

This is for TSL, so if what DarthParametric is saying, should I be using the 011/12 models instead?

If you are just trying to replace vanilla textures, then w_blstrpstl_001 through to 005 will replace the 5 variants of the basic blaster pistol in K1, with the addition of 011 and 012 in TSL.

Should I be trying to work with 011/012 since this is for TSL?

I assumed 001-005 (or whatever) was for Kotor 2 as well? Though it would be weird that the model for 001 did change but the textures aren't showing.

Both K1 and TSL use 001 to 005, with TSL additionally using 011 and 012 as well (the values in between are used for props like Bith musician instruments).

Are you sure the weapon you are attempting to change actually uses the w_blstrpstl_001 model?

I am not sure about that. I just assumed. Is there a way to check?

I used the 001 model and it changed it in game (the starter mining blaster in peragus) just not the textures. I'm not completely sure how to look at the details just yet.

I did what Kexikus suggested and renamed my texture to the different ones in those ranges but no change to the model in game.

Edit: Suppose the next step is to test the different models 001-006 etc?

Update: So I read the model and it shows the custom name of the texture file I originally had it named. I renamed the blaster tga I had in there and it's finally showing.

I suppose my next question is, how does the tool choose or write what texture is assigned to it? Is it what the name of the file is when I use it as a material in 3ds max?

I suppose my next question is, how does the tool choose or write what texture is assigned to it? Is it what the name of the file is when I use it as a material in 3ds max?

Generally yes. There are some exceptions where multiple textures are used for one model (e.g. different Jedi robes), but I'm not sure if that's set in the model or overwritten in a .2da file.