Sign in to follow this  
N-DReW25

Placeable Positioning Help

I am trying to fill an empty Module with placeables. The problem I am facing now is that I do not know how to actually the the placeable which is already ingame to face a direction I want such as North, East, South and West etc. I know it has something to do with the "Bearing" column in the git though I do not know what numbers I need to get a placeable to face a direction I want it to face.

Can anyone help me and explain what I must do to accomplish what I want? 

Those numbers are Quaternions which is just an alternate to (Euler) angles in representing an objects orientation. It is somehow possible to calculate the quaternions, but the easier way is to get an orientation armband and use that to get the quaternions directly from the game.

Placeables don't use quaternions. Quats are three dimensional rotations. Placeables use radians for a two dimensional rotation, i.e. bearing. Conversion of Euler degrees to radians is simple. For example, 90° is 1.5708 radians. Simply put "convert X degrees to radians" into Google for a quick conversion.

To get the placeable facing the way you want completely blindly, you could start with a value of zero, then work out what offset you want in degrees and then convert that to radians. You may have to fiddle with it a bit to get the right value. I can't remember off the top of my head what direction zero is. North on the map? Edit: No, east is 0, north is 90, west is 180, south is 270.

Using the WhereAmI Armband in TSL as Kex suggests can make life easier, but I don't recall there being a similar armband for K1.

• Thanks 1

Whoops, sorry for the confusion.

Using the WhereAmI Armband in TSL as Kex suggests can make life easier, but I don't recall there being a similar armband for K1.

There is one but I can't remember where I found it and AFAIK it only outputs quaternions.

Whoops, sorry for the confusion.

There is one but I can't remember where I found it and AFAIK it only outputs quaternions.

So using this armband will it record my bearings/radians based off what direction my character is facing? 

So using this armband will it record my bearings/radians based off what direction my character is facing? 

I just checked and yes, the one I use does. It gives the angle, quaternions and bearing so you can use it in either case.

I think I have the one from this tutorial, but I might be wrong.

I think I have the one from this tutorial, but I might be wrong.

Ah, it's derived from a ye olde mod by Star Admiral released back in 2009. Interestingly, I actually have the v1.0 of it sitting in my mod folder. Must not have looked at it for nigh on a decade (last modified date is Feb 2009).