Sign in to follow this  
spacej

Any way to edit existing Dialog.tlk entries with TSLPatcher?

I want to know if it is possible to edit Dialog.tlk entries from the base game with TSLPatcher or any other tool without having to distribute the whole Dialog.tlk file.  Particularly, I want to edit some Force Power descriptions and the class descriptions at the start of a new game, which to the best of my knowledge can't be edited any other way than through the Dialog.tlk file.

The TSLPatcher is designed with exactly that in mind. Based on my somewhat limited understanding of the process, it creates an Append.tlk file and then uses it to overwrite the existing Dialog.tlk .

Do you happen to have the documentation with the download?  The PDF is a fantastic guide on how to set up new dialogue or strings.

The Append.tlk is only used to append new lines to dialog.tlk and AFAIK TSLPatcher cannot be used to edit already existing lines. So what'd you'd have to do is this: Use TSLPatcher with Append.tlk to add your new/edited lines to dialog.tlk and then also use TSLPatcher to edit the file that specifies which tlk entry is used for which force power so that it uses your new lines.