Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lex

KotOR video glitch

Guest Lex

This began more lightly in Taris Undercity, but now that I am in Dantooine it became quite serious.

This is my system:

System Information

------------------

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

System Model: HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Intel® Core i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: Intel® HD Graphics

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel® HD Graphics (Core i3)

DAC type: Internal

Display Memory: 1696 MB

Dedicated Memory: 64 MB

Shared Memory: 1632 MB

Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Since I have Windows 7, I installed KotOR following this guide:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=194324

And... well, I've attached a pic of the problem, so it's easier to understand if you see it for yourselves rather than I try and explain it. =P

post-285-0-60119100-1297005151_thumb.jpg

It sure looks like you can see the map as if it was shown in a 3d modelling program to me. Although, I have no idea why that would be so...

Well I had a similar problem with KOTOR2 on Windows 7: my character was disintegrating (the body was on the left side of the screen the head and the legs were still in place but without body. pretty creepy)

My own conclusion: Both KOTOR games are not for Windows 7 :D

Just install Win XP and you will have the time of your life with KOTOR:)

Uh. I can run KotOR1 and KotOR2 pretty fine on windows 7. Even KotOR1 on a Windows 7 64 bit! So nope, I don't think that's quite it. Maybe it has to do with the graphic card?

Guest Lex

Maybe it has to do with the graphic card?

I don't know, but it's happening in Kashyyyk's Shadowlands, and with it came the infamous "Dantooine's" lag. Woe is me. =P

Guest Lex

I've added this to the ini file before running swkotor.exe for the first time.

I've also tried removing this line, but the problem only got worse.

It seems to me that you are running an integrated graphic card. That is a one that draws on your RAM resources. Now assuming that I am correct in this, you may want to try to set the game at a lower resolution (800x600 usually do the trick) and see if there's still some lag happening.

Guest Lex

The problem isn't really the lagging, but the visual glitch (the "debug world", as you said), which happens on Taris Undercity, Dantooine and now on Kashyyyk's Shadowlands. There's lagging only when this glitch is happening. For isntance, on Kashyyyk's Great Walkway, Taris's Upper and Lower Cities there's no visual glitch, and therefore no lagging.

I know this may be kind of lame, but:

When everything else fail, re-install the game and start over.

That's been my motto in all the no go situation I've ever encountered. It is a possibility that your game got somehow corrupt. Re-installing may or may not solve the problem. I suggest you back-up your saves before you do (but I am unconvinced that should you re-install, these saves are not gonna be corrupted, so to be sure, you'd still have to start a new game over). If that fails... Bonne chance.

Guest Lex

Well, the glitch is still happening, but for some reason there's much less lagging now, so the game is playable. Weird.

Well I had a similar problem with KOTOR2 on Windows 7: my character was desintegrating ( the body was on the left side of the screen the head and the legs were still in place but without body. pretty creepy)

Conclusion: KOTORS are not for Windows 7:D

Just install win XP and you will have the time of your life with KOTOR:)

This. I like my set-up simple and archaic, and windows XP provides that, as outdated as it is by today's standards.

Hey folks!

I'm not one that's a proponent of necro-posting but I just had the same issue myself. Seeing as I decided to correct the spelling on the old posts anyway, I may as well post a solution - even if it is 3 years after the fact.

Let's just cover two possible solutions, one of which was already posted in a different form above. For illustration purposes, here's my own graphical issue.

Grasspart1_zps4fad999d.png

1} Option A: Disable Vertex Buffer Objects

"Open the swkotor.ini file with Notepad, scroll down to the section marked [Graphic Options] and add the following line:

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

Save the file then run the game again and everything should be fine. For future reference, this fix is listed on the LucasArts website in the "Yoda's Help Desk" section for KotOR. If you need to look it up again, it would be quicker and easier to just go there." (Quoted from a previous poster yonks ago to save time.

Remember to copy that line exactly as you see it (Copy & Paste) underneath everything else in the Graphic Options sections. Just press enter and add another line to past it in.

It doesn't seem to have much of an affect on the game's eye candy, but it sure does make an improvement to its playability.

2: Turn off Grass:

By the way, this is the one that solved my own issue. YMMV.

In your Graphics setting in the game, un-check Grass - as shown here.

Grasspart2_zps5eb69495.png

The results?

Grasspart3_zps40414939.png

Again . . . sorry about the necro-posting.

You should probably update your drivers... it no longer does that grass-bug stuff for me atleast (although I haven't tried it for KOTOR1).