Eauxps I. Fourgott

Swapping Clothing/Armor Textures?

Okay, so right now I'm interested in doing a little personal project that involves replacing certain models/textures for various items of clothing/armor by making them instead appear as a different clothing/armor item from elsewhere in the game.

For an example of what I'm talking about, check out this mod.

Can somebody tell me if this can be accomplished relatively easily, and if so, how to go about doing it?

Primarily interested in doing this for K2.

Textures is much easier, but doing this for models is an all-or-nothing thing. Every "class" of armor (clothing, underwear, several different Jedi robes, Dancer's Outfit, and each tier of armor) has one single model for any item of that type. The texture depends on the item's assigned texture variation, but the model is always the same.

One could hack in a new model by making a new row in appearance.2da and changing the model, but you'd need a new row for every row in heads.2da and the item would need a disguise property.

...Now I am confused.

Can you explain to me the difference between models and textures?

The game is hardcoded to recall only one model for one column in appearance.2da and to use the texture for this model with a number called by .uti file for an armor.

Maybe it would be possible to create new columns in appearance.2da?

The game is hardcoded to recall only one model for one column in appearance.2da and to use the texture for this model with a number called by .uti file for an armor.

Maybe it would be possible to create new columns in appearance.2da?

But what exactly do "model" and "texture" mean here?

(I'm a modding noob, please bear with me)

But what exactly do "model" and "texture" mean here?

(I'm a modding noob, please bear with me)

I got a heart attack. Model (.mdl format) is the 3D shape of clothing/armor. It's got no color information applied, so it needs.a texture to be more than just a white colored shape. Texture is a .tga format image which has to follow how parts of textures have to be applied (which is included in the .mdx file). It has got colors and patterns applied in particular places of itself. If the creator of the texture followed the .mdx instructions correctly when placing those patterns, they will appear in the desired place on the model.
  • Like 1

I got a heart attack. Model (.mdl format) is the 3D shape of clothing/armor. It's got no color information applied, so it needs.a texture to be more than just a white colored shape. Texture is a .tga format image which has to follow how parts of textures have to be applied (which is included in the .mdx file). It has got colors and patterns applied in particular places of itself. If the creator of the texture followed the .mdx instructions correctly when placing those patterns, they will appear in the desired place on the model.

Got it. So it looks like I'll be wanting to change the models then, and this will not be particularly easy. Great.