maltron66

Maintenance drones won't perform maintenance, HK-50s gone nuts!

After releasing the first part of my Enhanced Enemies project (which enhances the enemies you fight in Peragus), I immediately started working on the second part of this project: This time, I'm trying to enhance the enemies you face as 47 during the attack on the HK factory on Telos.

Apart from the Telos Military Droids, the Sentry Droids and the Probe Droids that already exist in the 298tel module (the military base sub-level), I decided to throw in some new turrets, some Mark I and Mark IV Assault Droids... and some stupid maintenance drones (you know, the ones you encounter on Peragus, the ones that heal enemy mining droids). So after everything is complete, I test that part and everything is looking great, except for one thing. The maintenance drones are not doing what they're supposed to, ie heal the enemy droids when they take damage. Instead, they just come right at my face and just float there, doing nothing.

Why is this happening? Aren't the maintenance drones supposed to heal any kind of droids? Or are they supposed to heal only the mining droids you fight at Peragus?

One more thing that I noticed is that, when I destroy the maintenance drones, they do not blow up like they do at Peragus. Instead, they just stay there until they fade away after I destroy all nearby enemies and end combat mode. I don't know if this has to do anything with the drones not healing the enemy bots, but I think I should mention that cuz it's a little weird.

Speaking of weird... As I was playing through the HK factory, I noticed 2 things that are weirding me out: Remember the HK-50s near the munitions room, the ones that gun down 3 protocol droids? I found some kind of bug that I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with my mod (I don't see how it can be related to that, since I haven't made any changes to the HK-50s yet). The bug is the following: If you lure the 2 Probe droids that are located in the munitions room near the aforementioned group of HK-50s, the HK-50s will open fire at the probe droids and will even spread out to destroy any enemy droids you might have left alive in this area. Now, although I love the feeling of having 3 HK-50s and HK-47 dominate some poor combat and sentry droids, I'm afraid it doesn't make any sense, since the enemy here is 47 (aka YOU) so the HK-50s shouldn't have to fight FOR you. I also tried to lure some enemies near the HK-50s located near the communications console, right in front of the entrance to the HK manufacturing plamt (don't ask me how I did that-I had to use cheats to open doors that normally can't be unlocked before shutting down the reactor in order to reach those 3 HK-50s). These HK-50s would NOT help me out against the enemy combat droids at all. Which is really weird becauss: if these HK-50s do not do anything to help you out against the enemy bots (which makes sense), then why are the other 3 HK-50s fighting for you?

And finally, one quick note: it appears that one of the HK-50 templates has a false soundset: Instead of the HK47_K2 soundset that all HK-50s have, there's one HK-50 that has a Kath Hound soundset (can't remember which one at the moment-I'll get back to you on that). What gives?

I can't really help you with your actual mod issues but I have a guess what could be going on with the 3 HKs helping you fight.

Those are the ones you can talk to, right? My guess is that their faction was set to friendly so that they don't attack you, so now they attack everything that's hostile instead which is no problem as long as no hostile droids come close to them. Setting their faction to neutral (or something like that) should fix this I think. But that's something for the TSLRCM team to fix so I suggest you post this and the other bug in the TSLRCM bug report thread.

Kex, I forgot to mention this, but I actually checked all the HK-50 templates for the 298tel module and they were all set to neutral. When I first experienced this bug, I thought the exact same thing yoi did, but after checking the faction they've been set to (neutral), I'm at loss. I'll check again to see if there's something I'm missing.

Fair Strides: Before I tell you, let me give you all a little update on the situation: I got the drones to work. The reason they wouldn't work before is the following: after examining the template of the maintenance drones (it's the g_assassindrd009.utc file found in the 102per and 103per modules) and cross examining it with other character templates, I gathered that the maintenance drones use a different OnSpawn script than most characters do: I think it's called k_def_spawn_heal. This is the script that actually makes the drones heal other bots when they take damage.
The reason why it wouldn't work is because that script is included in the 102per and 103per modules, but NOT in the override, which explains why the maintenance drones I placed in the 298tel module wouldn't work: the game couldn't load and run the drones' most important script because it was neither in the override nor in the 298.tel module! But after I extracted that script and placed it in the override, bingo-the drones would now work properly! There's still that minor issue of the drones not playing their proper death animation when they die (ie blow up). They will still fade away after all enemies are dead instead of blowing up like they should. Maybe you can help me with this one, FS?
And of course, there's always the issue of the "friendly" HK-50s. I double checked their template files: all of them are set to neutral faction. I don't know what's causing them to attack enemy droids. But that's for the TSLRCM team to find out, not me. ;(
Maybe they should just leave it be. While it makes no sense, I gotta admit it makes for some hilarious gameplay when you see the HK-50s destroy their own combat droids. I did another test run yesterday: the 50s got so worked up, they actually started running around the facility, opening the force fields and destroyed every hostile in the module. I destroyed the enemies in the munitions room and the HK-50s stormed the communications room and the reactor room and destroyed everything there. And after that, it got even more funny when I started talking to them. The conversation was more like a parody: 2 of the HK-50s were in the communications room, the other one was near the reactor and sometimes the camera would be fixed on the area where they originally were, which was now empty. Stuff got messed up. xD

First of all, I want to say something and I apologize for how it's going to sound: I am proud of you for figuring out the "Maintenance Droid doesn't heal" issue on your own. You did exactly what I was going to suggest and do myself.

As to the death animation thing, you are on the right track. Looking at the Maintenance Droid in 102PER, it has "k_def_user_heal" as its User Defined script. Looking at this in DeNCS, it has what I was suspecting. The explosion and all that on death is a user-defined OnDeath thing. The user-defined stuff is toggled on and off in the OnSpawn script. And the "k_def_user_heal" script has stuff about going boom when they die.

So extracting that file and entering it as the User Defined script in your .utc files should fix the issue.

As to the other issue, I see nothing that would cause that.

I do not understand why you think that what you said (that you were proud of me) sounded weird and had to apologise for saying it. I mean, I can only be proud that senpai has noticed me (I thing I'm actually starting to get the hang of this modding business). xD And besides, you've provided help everytime I desperately needed it. There's nothing to apologise for.
Also... I just extracted and put the "k_def_user_heal.ncs" script in the override. Now the maintenance droids heal other bots AND blow up when they die. These little buggers work flawlessly now. Everything's as it should be... except for the HK-50s, of course, but like I said, this has nothing to do with me or my mod, and even if I was to try and fix it, I'd have to know what's wrong. And if someone like you says they have no idea what's causing it, my chances of fixing this myself are pretty low.
I've got an idea though. I'll try to replace the templates of the 3 "faulty" HK-50s with templates of other HK-50 units, do some editing and then see if this changes anything (most likely not, but it's worth a shot). Maybe I'll make a thread (yep, another one, again) on the TSLRCM bug report section like Kex pointed out to report this problem if I don't figure it out myself. Maybe Hassat Hunter or Varsity Puppet know what causes this bug to occur.

The bug is the following: If you lure the 2 Probe droids that are located in the munitions room near the aforementioned group of HK-50s, the HK-50s will open fire at the probe droids and will even spread out to destroy any enemy droids you might have left alive in this area.

Oversight. I believe I had to change their factions in order to get that cutscene to play out correctly (where they shoot that protocol droid) and I just forgot to change it back.

Yes a bug, though as you can imagine, not something that we tested for.

I also tried to lure some enemies near the HK-50s located near the communications console, right in front of the entrance to the HK manufacturing plamt (don't ask me how I did that-I had to use cheats to open doors that normally can't be unlocked before shutting down the reactor in order to reach those 3 HK-50s). These HK-50s would NOT help me out against the enemy combat droids at all. Which is really weird becauss: if these HK-50s do not do anything to help you out against the enemy bots (which makes sense), then why are the other 3 HK-50s fighting for you?

You're technically right, but if I remember correctly, those HK's were meant for cutscenes only and if you open the doors the correct way, they won't be there at all.

And finally, one quick note: it appears that one of the HK-50 templates has a false soundset: Instead of the HK47_K2 soundset that all HK-50s have, there's one HK-50 that has a Kath Hound soundset (can't remember which one at the moment-I'll get back to you on that). What gives?

Oversight