Revanator

Creating Custom Inventory Icons [K1]

Can anyone tell me how to do this? I'm attempting to create some custom icons for custom weapons and armor, but I can't seem to find the icon textures in KotOR Tool to see how they're labeled. What's the file naming standard for icons?

ERFs -> TexturePacks -> swpc_tex_gui.erf -> I -> ia_* and iw_* are armour/robes and weapons, respectively.

You'll likely just want to select swpc_tex_gui.erf and click the "Extract Entire ERF" button on the right rather than extracting each icon manually. That will give you TPCs, so you'll need to use the TPC2TGA converter on them.

Edit: Ah, I just saw your status update. You're just trying to create new icons for custom items, rather than retexturing existing ones? In that case you can probably just extract a couple manually in KT to use as guides (double click on them to load them in the viewer, then export to TGA).

The icon filename is determined by the base item type and the variation number. Basically you take the appropriate name from the ItemClass column of baseitems.2da, stick an i in front of it, and the ID number padded to 3 figures at the end. So, for example, if you were making a lightsaber with a variation ID of 30 and a custom crystal with a variation ID of 45, your icon names would be iw_lghtsbr_030 and iw_sbrcrstl_045, respectively. The highest ID the game will accept is 255, so don't go above that.

As for the icon itself, I wouldn't go above 256x256, or it gets out of hand in KSE. The vanilla ones are all 64x64, so you don't need anything crazy.

• Like 1

I'm looking for custom icons for my own weapons, so there's not going to be any overlap.

ERFs -> TexturePacks -> swpc_tex_gui.erf -> I -> ia_* and iw_* are armour/robes and weapons, respectively.

You'll likely just want to select swpc_tex_gui.erf and click the "Extract Entire ERF" button on the right rather than extracting each icon manually. That will give you TPCs, so you'll need to use the TPC2TGA converter on them.

Edit: Ah, I just saw your status update. You're just trying to create new icons for custom items, rather than retexturing existing ones? In that case you can probably just extract a couple manually in KT to use as guides (double click on them to load them in the viewer, then export to TGA).

The icon filename is determined by the base item type and the variation number. Basically you take the appropriate name from the ItemClass column of baseitems.2da, stick an i in front of it, and the ID number padded to 3 figures at the end. So, for example, if you were making a lightsaber with a variation ID of 30 and a custom crystal with a variation ID of 45, your icon names would be iw_lghtsbr_030 and iw_sbrcrstl_045, respectively. The highest ID the game will accept is 255, so don't go above that.

As for the icon itself, I wouldn't go above 256x256, or it gets out of hand in KSE. The vanilla ones are all 64x64, so you don't need anything crazy.

Ah, excellent, thank you. For some reason I didn't think to look under the GUI.