djnugent

More transparency "fixes"...but....

To our fine moderators:

Just an open ended question...

I have installed some area re-textures and have had some transparency issues. After taking a closer look, I realized that all of the textures w/ Alpha channels have no designated .TXI file that goes with them.

Now, I've manually created txi's every time I realize that this is happening, which is a shotgun "fix" in that now the walls/doors/shiny stuff is no longer transparent.

This raises a couple of notes:

1. To create the txi's, I basically just saved a bunch of text files as .txi's w/ CM_Baremetal. Not the most beautiful fix, but it "worked".

2. I really want to use the cubemap that the modder had intended to use initially as CM_baremetal is WAY too general and probably inappropriate to use with every texture.

I have been unable to reach this modder via messaging on a couple of different mod sites. 

3. If this IS a "fix", what are the rules against releasing "fixes" or download-packs to address this for other modders' work?

- for example, if I have a folder full of txi's that I want to release for people to use (assuming I'm not the only one with this issue), and am unable to contact the original modder, am I allowed to release something like this?

Excuse me if my post is not clear, I can go into all kinds of details if anybody has specific questions.

And NO, this is NOT regarding the newer area re-textures released within the last 6 months, so Deadly Stream modders need not worry at this time.

:-)

Thanks for taking the time! LOVE this site!!!

Not necessarily a moderator, but I'm kind of curious as to which mod is missing its corresponding txi's.

As for how you make a texture use a different Cubemap, you put "EnvmapTexture and then the name of the Cubemap" in the TXI, instead of CM_baremetal.

For custom CMs, you will have make sure the Cubemap texture is in your Override, and that it has a TXI of its own, denoting it being a Cubemap.

Lastly, as far as I know you can't have transparency and shiny effects simultaneously on a texture, since CMs use the Alpha channel.

First off, I'd like to say this post in no way degrades or talks any smack about XediiXarwarz's work on these mods - they're beautifully done and this post is mostly just to help me get the most out of his textures.

Not necessarily a moderator, but I'm kind of curious as to which mod is missing its corresponding txi's.

As for how you make a texture use a different Cubemap, you put "EnvmapTexture and then the name of the Cubemap" in the TXI, instead of CM_baremetal.

For custom CMs, you will have make sure the Cubemap texture is in your Override, and that it has a TXI of its own, denoting it being a Cubemap.

Lastly, as far as I know you can't have transparency and shiny effects simultaneously on a texture, since CMs use the Alpha channel.

Right so these are in reference to Xedii's area OTE retextures for KOTOR1 that I downloaded HERE. I messaged him from his site, and from ModDB. 

And as far as the cubemaps go, all of the cubemaps are in override, and all have a corresponding TGA and TXI. The actual area (Manaan, Kashyyyk, Taris, etc) textures themselves containing an Alpha channel have no corresponding TXI mapping out which cubemap it's supposed to use so they show up in-game as transparent walls, doors, objects, etc. 

I was able to "fix" it by creating several TXI files (just a text file saved as 'tga-name.txi'), with only 'Envmaptexture CM_Baremetal' written in.

So...I've now got some successfully cubemapped textures, eliminating said transparency issue...except now I've got all bare-metal shiny textures, and only bare-metal shiny textures.

The point(s?) of this post:

1. I messaged XediiXarwarz with no response (It's totally cool, life happens to all of us  :D )

- asked if there are txi's available

2. I can create the txi's, I just want to make sure that I'm using the cubemap that the texture was originally made with

3. If I create all of these txi's, what are the rules for or against releasing them as a resource/download for the entire community? Assuming, as always, that I'm not the one borking it up in the first place....

Think that pretty much covers it.

I apologize to XediiXarwarz for calling it out - was trying not to. Your mods kick ass.

Permission to upload here not granted until he provides permission for him to use his materials. Case closed.