Sign in to follow this  
Golselect

Could someone help me with compatibility issues?

Well, the problem i have is simple. I have a bunch of mods (amongst i have also NPC Overhaul and K1 restoration), and I don't know what to do. Some time ago I tried to directly install them in the override folder, without editing them, and it was a complete failure. A lot of incompatibilities ocurred. Now I'd like to do it the right way, but I'm new into these thing that is modding and i hardly know how to edit 2da files.

So the point is if someone could help me making some of the mods compatible, or telling me how to do it myself so I could handle it by myself in the future :D

Well, NPC Overhaul and K1R are still incompatible as far as I know, so you might want to wait for the NPC Overhaul update before you install it.

To install K1R, don't use the manual installation and follow the instructions to install it correctly with TSLPatcher. Make sure you point TSLPatcher to your K1 folder, NOT to your Override folder.

Afterwards continue to install your other mods. Most of them probably have TSLPatcher installers as well, so use those to insure compability and always check the install logs to see if anything was overwritten or some other error occured.

Also check the K1R compability list and thread to see if any of those mods was reported as incompatible. And should you still need to edit 2da files, there should be tutorials out there or I could also explain it later (got to go right now) if no one else does in the meantime^^

Well, NPC Overhaul and K1R are still incompatible as far as I know, so you might want to wait for the NPC Overhaul update before you install it.

To install K1R, don't use the manual installation and follow the instructions to install it correctly with TSLPatcher. Make sure you point TSLPatcher to your K1 folder, NOT to your Override folder.

Afterwards continue to install your other mods. Most of them probably have TSLPatcher installers as well, so use those to insure compability and always check the install logs to see if anything was overwritten or some other error occured.

Also check the K1R compability list and thread to see if any of those mods was reported as incompatible. And should you still need to edit 2da files, there should be tutorials out there or I could also explain it later (got to go right now) if no one else does in the meantime^^

I usually make a mess with tutorials, so if you could explain it to me would be great. Thank you ^^

Well, here you go.

For the explanation I'll use two made up mods that both use heads.2da as an example but it works the same for every oder 2da file.

So let's assume you have two mods called "Mod 1" and "Mod 2" that are incompatible as they both use heads.2da. First of all install Mod 1 the way it is described in its read me. Now if you'd install Mod 2 on top of that you could either override heads.2da from Mod 1 or skip heads.2da from Mod 2. So what you want to do is to find everything that Mod2s heads.2da has changed compared to the original unmoded 2da file and apply those changes to the heads.2da already in your Override folder.

To do so you'll need KotOR Tool that can be found here: http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/280-kotor-tool/

Install it wherever you like, then go ahead and extract the 2da file in question. All 2da files can be found in Kotor I > BIFs > 2da.bif > 2D Arrays or the same for Kotor II.

Find the file you're looking for, click it and click "Extract file" on the right.

post-12766-0-18311300-1439304752_thumb.jpg

Make sure you save it in a new folder as it might get confusing later and you want to know where every version of the heads.2da file is located.

Next up open the 2da editor in KotOR Tool. To do so select "Tools" and "Open 2DA File Editor". There you open the 2da file you just extracted and you'll see something similar to an Excel sheet. Now open a second instance of KotOR Tool and there also start the 2da editor. In this second instance, open the 2da file that's NOT yet inside your Override folder. In my example that would be the one from Mod 2.

You'll now see something like this:

post-12766-0-17943200-1439304749_thumb.jpg

To the left is the vanilla, that is the unmodified, heads.2da and to the right the one from Mod 2. Notice that there is a difference in row 6, column "headtexe". The modified version says "mod_Mission" instead of "****". Note all differences you find as you'll have to apply them to another heads.2da file next.

You no longer need to keep those two files open but you'll need one 2da editor instance again.

Now make a backup of the heads.2da file in your Override folder just in case and then open it with the 2da file editor.

post-12766-0-82513500-1439304753_thumb.jpg

This file will also differ from the vanilla version, in my example it has a different entry in row 3, column "headtexe". Now you want to apply the changes you wrote down earlier to this file. To do so, click on the cell that needs to be changed, row 6, column "headtexe" in my case and replace the text with whatever text has to be there. In my case that would be "mod_Mission".

After you've applied all those changes you'll end up with something like this:

post-12766-0-75818100-1439304750_thumb.jpg

This one now includes the modifications from both mods. Save this version into your Override folder and if you haven't done that already, finish the installation of Mod 2.

If you now start the game, both mods should work as intended.

All of this will obviously not work if both mods edit the same cell but it should in every other case.

I hope this helped :D

Thanks ^^, it is really useful. I'll try it later. But first i'd like to ask you some questions if you don't mind.

First, could you explain me why NPC Overhaul and K1 restoration are incompatible? If you know the source of the incompatibility

Next, are other mods, like BoS, incompatible with K1 Restoration?

And finally, what other files could cause incompatibilities? I thought of UTC or DLG files as well

And again, thank you for the help :)

NPC Overhaul both use .mod files and will overwrite each other if installed together, resulting in weird issues or a broken game depending on the order you install them in. But Kain is working on making them compatible (no easy task I imagine), so you'll have to be patient before you can use them together.

If BoS:SR is compatible or not is not known. I haven't heard of any issues yet but it's not confirmed that they work together either. You could try and report what you find out.

And finally, anything can cause incompabilities. If a file is used by two different mods, they won't work together unless they have installers that allow them to modify an already existing file when installing. It's just that in some cases you won't notice much of it while it can be gamebreaking in other cases.

Also, check this thread, where everything that's known to be compatible with K1R is listed and where you can ask if anyone knows if a mod is:

http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/3348-list-of-k1r-compatible-mods/