tjsase

Problem converting to Bink for movies

So I'm doing a mod that involves replacing 2 of the movies in KotOR II.  I have the movies saved as avi files, but when I try to use Rad Video Tools to convert or even play them, I get an error opening the file.  Years ago this worked for me, but since then something must have happened to prevent me from making Bink videos.  Rad won't let me play ANYTHING that isn't a Bink file.  My system is Windows 7 64-bit, freshly installed a few months ago

So I'm doing a mod that involves replacing 2 of the movies in KotOR II.  I have the movies saved as avi files, but when I try to use Rad Video Tools to convert or even play them, I get an error opening the file.  Years ago this worked for me, but since then something must have happened to prevent me from making Bink videos.  Rad won't let me play ANYTHING that isn't a Bink file.  My system is Windows 7 64-bit, freshly installed a few months ago

Could be a formatting thing within the .avi files, but also do you have the latest Rad Video Tools?

And did you make the new ones from scratch? If so, was there a reason you couldn't convert the .bik files to .avi and edit them?

Could be a formatting thing within the .avi files, but also do you have the latest Rad Video Tools?

And did you make the new ones from scratch? If so, was there a reason you couldn't convert the .bik files to .avi and edit them?

I believe this is probably the case. RAD doesn't like messing with many different codecs, and AVI files have the largest amount of codecs that are friendly to them. I find it easiest to convert a lossless AVI file, because RAD likes that, no info on the video is lost in the conversion. Usually, only professional grade softwares, like After Effects, can successfully export a lossless AVI file.

I think I was able to solve it (partially).  I had to move the files to my Windows XP machine and convert them there, and it seems to be working.  It seems that Bink just doesn't like Win7 x64, as the files I used were uncompressed AVIs.