JoeWJ

SWTOR Rant

Just came across a interesting rant by a EA Employee. His main subject was Warhammer but he did have a little SWTOR quote:

"And Bioware? Don't make me laugh. They've spent more money making the Old Republic than James Cameron spent on Avatar. Kid you not. More than $ 300 million! Can you believe that?

And you know what they�re most proud of? This is the kicker. They are most proud of the sound. No seriously. Something like a 20 Gig installation, and most of it is voiceover work. That's the best they have. The rest of the game is a joke. EA knows it and so does George Lucas,they're panicking , and so most of Mythic has already been cannibalized to work in Austin on it because they can't keep pushing back launch.

Old Republic will be one of the greatest failures in the history of MMOs from EA. Probably at the level of the Sims Online. We all know it too !!"

He does have a point about it keep being pushed back, it was meant to be coming out the end of this month but now it's the end of March.

Another rush job like KoTOR II?

What'd you guys think on the upcoming MMO?

Source:
http://ealouse.wordpress.com/2010/10/12/hello-world/

I had to look up Shadenfreude then xD

I'm gonna have to agree with you there. I'd rather they stuck to the KoTOR series; my personal opinion I hope the MMO fails and they realise there mistake.

Of course the opposite could happen if it fails and they decide to drop the whole Old Republic timeline.

• Like 1

I'm against TOR just as much as the next guy, but I fail to see how this necessarily demonstrates that TOR is going to suck major balls. So they have a ton of sound files (likely a ton of Voice overs). Since when is this a bad thing? Just because this guy said so?

• Like 1

Well, if you watch any of TOR's gameplay video voice overs in it... they aren't exactly what I'd call good quality. So yeah, lot of bad voice acting might be a bad thing.

Well, if you watch any of TOR's gameplay video voice overs in it... they aren't exactly what I'd call good quality. So yeah, lot of bad voice acting might be a bad thing.

Have not watched any gameplay videos. I guess I made the mistake of assuming that the Voice overs would be on par with Kotor.

VP my interpretation of it is that he's saying it's gonna suck because they've spent the majority of there time doing there voice overs and now there rushing there games development people over to the studio to get the content done because they can't afford to postpone it again.

And yea I thought the voice over in the gameplay videos was preety bad aswell >_< Just throwing a idea around here, but possibly budget voice actors as they had to get so many?

Yeah, my guess would they needed so many actors they couldn't afford any good ones :cool:

Well, all right, there are "few" good ones ;D My point still stands though, they probably just couldn't afford many of those.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Jeniffer was just doing her lines for Mass Effect and some Bioware guy asked her, "hey, how about recording few more lines for TOR?". Don't know how much more they'd need to pay her for some additional lines but I guess it's not so much, considering they already have actress there and all.

Another rush job like KoTOR II?

What'd you guys think on the upcoming MMO?

Bioware never developed Kotor 2. That was Obsidian Entertainment, who actually managed to do-it-again recently with the incredibly buggy Fallout 3: New Vegas. Bioware has a cleaner, if a slightly more boring track record. I don't think they'll be as likely to put a broken game on the market as Obsidian, but a more-of-the-same sort of MMO is a likelier outcome.

The only edge they have in the MMO department is twofold. The amount of dialogue alone tells us a lot about the quantity of voiced quests we'll see, but it tells us nothing of the quantity. Here they either:

- have stuck with Lucasarts and written boring SW:Clone Wars-like stories.

- stuck to their own writer team which has been producing 'okay' stuff for the past eight years.

I'm not that happy about the latter option either. Bioware today is nothing like the original Black Isle team that created Baldur's Gate.

Edited by Tricky

Whoops. Quality in the second one. ;) I intended to write something about how they were also new on the market. You know, breath of fresh air. The writer of that blog can't really vouch for. I.. ah.. forgot. I've been reading up about Kotor 2 mods all day. ;)

Guest GarfieldJL

From a story standpoint, TSL was better than the first game. Obsidian ran into problems when they had to do a rush job. I don't know what the problem is with Fallout 3 (then again I haven't played that game), but really KotOR 1 was kinda flat.

The chars were predictable in KotOR 1 and kinda one-dimensional, whereas there was a depth to the chars of KotOR 2. Also the ability to swith weapons with a single button was extremely nice in TSL. Obsidian just has a problem with time-management and people moving up dates on them.

That was Obsidian Entertainment, who actually managed to do-it-again recently with the incredibly buggy Fallout 3: New Vegas.

Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas are separate games, and the latter is only very buggy on low spec computers, which can be solved with a simple patch available at newvegasnexus.com.

I never said they made the first game as well. Also I think a relatively bug-free game is a reasonable quality standard to ask for upon release. Whether or not this is due to the publisher holding back on financing, pushing the release date or Obsidian itself being happy with fairly low quality standards is irrelevant by now, if you consider for a moment that this has been going on for many years. They have had plenty of time to either find a new publisher or reorganize their programming team a bit. Heck, they probably could have sufficed with a bit more beta testing. Apparently they think things are fine the way they are.

I do believe Obsidian has gathered some of the most creative talents available in the gaming industry at this time, and have without question managed to improve on the original IP's they have set out to make sequels of. I for one would be *very* disappointed if SW:TOR would choose neglect Kotor 2's legacy in favor of Kotor 1.

i dno if me and one of my friends are the only ones, but we cant wait for this game to come out, we are big kotor fans, and we are gonna buy it when it coems out, it doesnt look that bad actually, the voice overs are pretty good from what ive seen in vids, ill find a vid for you to look at with a few VO's in it, its got gameplay in it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTf1aI4M1RY
Keep in mind that this is close to a year before the are actually realeasing it, so combat will most deffinately improve.

This one is another gameplay vid, this came out in the 2009 E3 event thingo, so thats 1 and a halfs years before it will be realeased, so things will be tweaked, fixed, and improved...

there the only 2 good gameplay vids i can find at the mom, i would find more, but im at School at the moment, so i have work to do, don't get to critical of the vids, because like i said, they will be fixed, improved before the actual game is released.

(i hope the links worked, im fairly new to this site, and still getting used to everything)

Guest Bob Ta'aar

I for one am very exited about TOR.

Even if the VO could be better (although we still should wait for the final version), they're still a major improvement to simple non-voiced text-boxes as in many other mmog's.

I'm still quiet unsure about the gameplay though ... only 4 classes per side and only 2 of them have force-powers? I simply can't imagine many people willing to play for example as a republic trooper ...

Having a 1 year expirience with WoW, I also wonder, how it'll compare with this highly successful mmorpg, which I came to dislike very much though.

:s KOTOR 2 was rushed and I still thought it was a great game. Even if Old Republic isn't well done, chances are I'll love it.

Guy seems cut up about something and taking pot shots. Is three hundred million even a reasonable ammount to have spent on a game? EA would have cut Bioware off at the shins if they'd even suggested that!

I don't know about TOR. While KotOR 2 was brillant in terms of how they ret-conned Revan and other elements introduced by KotOR 1, BioWare seems set on ruining K2 and their own K1. Revan did his initial actions on the orders of ANOTHER Sith Emperor? Because there aren't enough of them?

I'll stick with Kreia's idea, instead.

Did they not learn anything from Star Wars Galaxies? Lucasarts and BioWare i loosing out on alot of money making this instead of Kotor III

300 million?

When this game fails, and it inevitably will, I'll be having myself a good laugh.