Sign in to follow this  
Box

A TSL Mystery

So one day I started a game of TSL after a new install with TSLRCM and felt like my character's model wasn't right. I had picked to start as a guardian and I felt like my character should be bigger. I remembered previously noting how buffed the guardian seemed to be compared to my usual choice of the sentinel. When the exile first comes out of the kolto tank, it's easy to notice the difference.

Well, at least that's what I thought. I tried starting new games with the other classes and I noticed that they were all using the same body type no matter what I chose. I tried to figure out if there was a problem but I couldn't find anything. It's like the feature never existed. I looked around and I couldn't find any proof that it ever had. So I went on with my game, but it still bothered me. Particularly, when I got to fighting the mercenary leader on Telos, his model looked completely wrong. He was using the small body model like the one I seemed to be stuck with for the exile.

So, you know, I thought this was going to be one of those cases where I have this clear memory of what I remember and yet I can't find any solid evidence that the memory was real. That's kind of strange and unnerving, but I didn't know what to do. That changed the other day when I was browsing the mods on here and I came across this one:

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/397-k1-player-character-height-adjustment/

Particularly, this one comment by Kainzorus Prime caught my eye:

"TSL also uses the three distinctive heights, It's visible if you stand close to Kreia and speak to her if you're using the Large body type. You are able to see her ears as she arches up to face you then."

Aha! You see! I'm not the only one who remembers this feature. But of course, L0ki194 who made the mod thought that there was only one body type. But then he made a mod himself for TSL saying that there are three body types like I thought. So what's the deal? Is this supposed to be a feature in the game? Did I break it somehow? Is it a bug in TSLRCM? I'm pretty sure the only other mods I was using were like high quality sounds or something. I need someone to break it down for me or at least confirm that I'm not remembering things that didn't happen.

Hey, Box. I'm not really sure with this one. I think it was one of those things Obsidian goofed on when making TSL... I noticed it long before I made my TSL Player Character Height Adjustment mod... I think everybody used the Medium body group or something... But anyways I think they just decided to get rid of the feature, but as far as I know, there's nothing wrong with TSLRCM when it comes to that. Maybe I should play through the game again, and check to make sure everythings okay...

So how exactly does your mod work? And how is it that I and Kainzorus Prime were able to recall playing the game using different body types before you ever made your mod?

The way my mod works is just a simple model replacement. In KOTOR the body groups apply to different classes so the Small Body Group would apply to Scoundrel Class. The Medium body group for the Scouts, and finally the Large Body Groups for Soldiers... might also apply to Canderous but I don't know. But in TSL... I don't know what they did, they just made almost everybody the same height. But anyways, the small medium and large body groups are still in the game files, but Obsidian made it so pretty much everybody uses the medium body group by default. I took a look at the apearance.2da file and All player Characters, Party Members/Companions and NPCs that use armors use the Medium Body Model.

But my mod for TSL just replaces all the body models with just one body model... either Large, Medium (Default), or Small.

Hope I helped.... if not, then I'm bad at explaining things.

I guess what I most of all don't understand is how I (and Kainzorus Prime) can remember playing the regular game with this feature when it supposedly didn't exist or rather was latent and unimplemented. I mean, part of the reason you made the mod was because the different classes didn't use different heights, right? But then, without using your mod or doing any investigation of my own, how could I have known that there were different models that existed in TSL? That doesn't make any sense. Are there separate versions of the game one of which has fixed this feature? Was there another mod that I used before that implemented this? I don't know.

Your explanation of the mod makes sense, but I'll have to check it out in more detail.

Appearance for most armors is still correct in TSL and uses the Small/Medium/Large difference in vanilla game. Only the underwear model was set up to use the same medium height one for every body type, as far as I've seen.

Really, eh? Huh... guess it's just my game that's messed up or something. :lol: After all I have a mod that makes it so the clothing appearances go back to using the K1 columns... PMBBL, PMBBM, etc.

It's funny because the underwear model is the one I remember being the most notably different of all of them. In fact, I don't particularly remember the non-underwear models being different since I almost always chose a Sentinel but I would notice the difference at the beginning of the game if I had chosen a Guardian. I'm going to have to look at this a bit more to figure out what's the deal.

It's funny because the underwear model is the one I remember being the most notably different of all of them. In fact, I don't particularly remember the non-underwear models being different since I almost always chose a Sentinel but I would notice the difference at the beginning of the game if I had chosen a Guardian. I'm going to have to look at this a bit more to figure out what's the deal.

I'm pretty sure all of the armor models used the Medium Body Variant throughout the whole game.

Maybe Kreia is shorter than everyone else.