Sign in to follow this  
Morthion

HK Factory Combat Pacing

I recently reinstalled TSL and the latest version of the content mod (1.8).

I just finished the HK factory, and the combat pacing left me a little dismayed, as I was doing roughly 30-50 damage per hit with my rifle (100-150 on a crit), and the HK-50s seem to have around 300, if not more.

Which in and of itself wouldn't be so bad, except there are so many of them. What this means is that, even though it wasn't particularly difficult (shield, shoot, shoot, etc.), it did get awfully boring.

What are the expected damage numbers for HK-47 when you hit the factory? Did I just somehow gimp my build, or was it really the intention to shove a wall of hit points and rather pedantic rifle-shooting between arriving at Telos and facing Nihilus?

1.8.1's latest.

I never really had an issue in the factory (apparently some complained "no one bothereed even going through the factory to test the balance"... but I did countless times, and never knew it was an issue till that thread).

Of course TSLRP's factory (which was a 20-fold harder) learned me the hard way how to build HK, that might have helped, with ample repair, dual-wielding instead of one assassin rifle, using mandalorian rippers, keened out with heavy +crit modifying and general damage adding modifications.

Becomes pretty easy like that. So yeah, never really noticed some players might think it would be slow and tedious.

Anyway, was planning a small modification for said players who didn't want to improve their HK to lower the HP somewhat... however I... well... completely forgot. Let's hope I don't do so again when done with my work on M4-78EP. It's not really difficult to do. Just a little tedious and boring.

The main problem with the factory is that without wanting to, most will innately compare it to the gameplay with their exile. Which, if it was the exile or any other of the Jedi assisting HK, the entire thing would take much less time.

Not that I mean to say it should be changed, since it can be done with some effort.

Even without wanting to compare, it seems that there's the potential for a great deal of slowdown there when the plot should be racing. I'm not so much concerned about the combat as the story pacing.

I'm not so much concerned about the combat as the story pacing.

They are inherently connected. You can't have a quick pace in the story if you are engaged in tedious, long fights.

What I meant was that I don't want the combat redesigned for its own sake; redesigning should be done with an eye towards the rest of the story happening at the time.

I'd actually go as far and say that the factory is the worst place in the entire game, endless combat with HK-47.

A friend of mine built HK-47 as a support role because that's what ranged only characters usually are used for. Also, HK-47 and the exile said that they would go to the factory together. When the game gives you control of one character it's usually easy stuff or easy to get past: hide behind the bar when Atton's fighting the twins, Mira has her mines when she takes of Hanharr, T3 on Peragus, etc.

So anyway, his HK was not optimized at all for this which made his journey very tiresome and very slow. I tried it and I tell you, it's very sad. Then he got to the big area where you meet like 7 at once and he couldn't get past it. I eventually gave him the killblaster and then he did it.

However, 1.8's version of the HK factory is worse than 1.7's. I could not figure out how to activate HK-51s, every time I got to the console it only said "step away". When I shut down the HK-50 line it all ended. The quest journal wasn't helpful either. Maybe my game was wrecked or something out but I also thought the the area before the HK level was confusing. I have this weird feeling it was easier before.

I just downloaded the 1.7 installer, I'm considering replacing the HK factory related files, then creating a new installer. My own installer, I'll probably create a script that gives you the killblaster too. It's supposed to be a badass moment but it's just... grinding. Endless grinding.

Area before the factory?

And it's exactly the same in 1.8 as 1.7 how to enable the HK-51 console... so... that's a pretty odd comparrison to make.