Sign in to follow this  
ZM90

Best Video Games this Generation

Games that in my opinion do NOT count as this gen are as follows PC or MMOs, Vita, and 3DS games because PC and MMOs transcend gens and Vita and 3DS are clearly the next gen handhelds even though we are still waiting on next gen consoles. Anyway the Wii U is going to arrive late this year so let's talk about what we love about this generation before next gen truly hits with Wii U.

For me it is as follows.

Best of Wii

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Xenoblade Chronicles

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Best of Xbox 360

Dragon Age: Origins

Mass Effect 2

Sonic Generations

Best of PS3

See Best of Xbox 360

Best of Nintendo DS

Pokemon Heart Gold & Soul Silver

Mario Kart DS

Chrono Trigger DS

Best of PSP

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep

Your turn :P.

Idk about a lot of games, but the best of this generation (speaking of consoles anyways) has to be Mass Effect 2.

Sure everyone shits eats and sleeps the latest COD installment, but ME2 is where it's at.

VP, I respectfully disagree. The most important element of any role playing game is character development, and in this area ME2 no doubt loses to DAO. If I were to rank games of all time, it would be Kotor, Kotor 2, DAO, and may be ME2 would be the forth. Of course Kotor has nothing to do with this generation.

You see the thing is, Shepard is a great hero, we all love him and such, but he does not undergo any personal conflict at all. Compare Revan, Grey Warden and Shepard. Of the three, Revan is the most intense character, while Shepard is super stable. It's like he was born the way he is. Sure we hear occasionally that he was an orfan on Earth, but that is little to nothing.

Grey Warden, on the other hand, has to overcome pain of loss of parents, then tragic defeat in a major battle, and unite his entire country. He literally loses everything, except friends, while Shepard is given much to do his job. Throughout the story of DAO we can sense the growth of our character. From a young boy to the leader of many nations. This is some really good psychological insight and good story telling. That is what makes a game truly great.

Idk about a lot of games, but the best of this generation (speaking of consoles anyways) has to be Mass Effect 2.

Sure everyone shits eats and sleeps the latest COD installment, but ME2 is where it's at.

Sorry VP I'm going to have to agree with one of Kerk's points in that I think DA: O is the best of Bioware's games this gen.

However I'm going to go all controversial with my opinion (at least on a Star Wars related site anyway) that the truly best most revolutionary game of this gen is Skyward Sword. Though to me that is closely followed in awesomeness by Xenoblade Chronicles and Dragon Age: Origins.

I mean yes I love Bioware's story telling (I mean why do you think I play their games?) but no game this generation to me has been as fun as Skyward Sword. Skyward Sword gameplay wise I believe is the best this generation and while it may not have the best storyline the story is still pretty damn epic in and of itself.

TL:DR Skyward Sword is the best this gen because gameplay > story.

Suppose it might help of I could manage to play Dragon Age. Seriously, I've been trying but I just keep wanting to play Mass Effect.

But all is well. Perhaps I shouldn't be too involved in this conversation anyways since most of the games I've played recently and enjoyed have been from varying generations. I've limited the games I've played for this current generation to ones I'm either interested in or I've just heard food things about them. Unfortunately, it seems I've gotten hung up on Mass Effect. But really, for a long time I was focused on KOTOR modding, which, needless to say, takes up a lot of time.

Maybe I'll catch up one of these days...

Suppose it might help of I could manage to play Dragon Age. Seriously, I've been trying but I just keep wanting to play Mass Effect.

But all is well. Perhaps I shouldn't be too involved in this conversation anyways since most of the games I've played recently and enjoyed have been from varying generations. I've limited the games I've played for this current generation to ones I'm either interested in or I've just heard food things about them. Unfortunately, it seems I've gotten hung up on Mass Effect. But really, for a long time I was focused on KOTOR modding, which, needless to say, takes up a lot of time.

Maybe I'll catch up one of these days...

Sounds like you need to play Dragon Age: Origins, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Skyward Sword.

I mean I'm into to Mass Effect but I don't play those games as often as you do.

You better hurry up and get Xenoblade though (assuming you have a Wii or are willing to get one) seeing as how the release was pretty limited, it could very well go up in price.

Edit: Just checked Xenoblade Chronicles on Ebay and wow it's already going for $75.00 brand new (highest price I've seen and it's "Buy it now") and it's just the US version of the game by itself! Glad I got my copy shortly after it came out.

Edit2: I just checked the official website of Gamestop and it's still available to order for a reasonable price for those wanting a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles. Just wait until the Wii U comes out though and Nintendo pretty much starts ignoring the Wii. When that happens Xenoblade (US version) is going to become a lot more rare. Xenoblade is also in high demand by used game stores I had my local game store saying they were looking for it the other day but I told them I have a copy but wouldn't sell it.

Apparently can't comment here as PC-exclusive gamer...

Oh well...

That depends do you play any PC games that are also on consoles from this gen? If so you could talk about those minus mods.

The only reason PC was excluded is because PC is easily moddable and that in my opinion is a unfair advantage over the console games. I do admit I leave that little loophole though that is something is multi-platform meaning on multiple consoles or on PC and console(s) that it can be talked about.