Sign in to follow this  
Traveller

Cheating Breaks The Game?

This is related to my post in the compatibility thread asking about the influence fix. I've legitimately finished the game and I know TSLRCM 1.7 works properly. For my second playthrough I cheated all the Exile's stats and skills to maximum, which is something I had no problems doing when playing the original KotOR. This time around however instead of waking up alone in the temple ruins on Dantooine I get a persistent black screen. This post from 2010 talks of the same issue. However, the advice given in that thread cannot apply to me, because I did not install any mods that changed Kreia.

My other post asked if the Influence Mod Fix was compatible because that was the only mod I installed between my legit game and my cheat game. However, at the same time taking out the Influence Mod and running an autosave from just before I left Nar Shaddaa didn't change anything. So did my maxing out the Exile's stats break the game or did the Influence Mod do the job?

Follow up to my question. The answer proved to be "none of the above". I had an incompatible mod.

Which mod was it?

Which mod was it?

Sorry for the late reply. It was either the Peragus Correction Mod by Ulic or the Sion Cutscene Fix. I can't remember which. I took those out and tried a game. It ran fine until I went back to Taris because the Sith were attacking. My characters spawn in the hangar instead of in the Ithorian Compound and thus the conversation with Dol Grenn never happens. Thus, I'm still inclined to think that cheating my stats sky high, like I used to do with the first KotOR, is somehow affecting the game in ways I'm not anticipating.

You returned to Taris in KOTOR2? :P

But... well... I have a hard time imagining spawning at the hangar (201TEL, there is no "under attack" version instead of 221TEL) is caused by cheating more than some very freaky mod incompatibility...

You returned to Taris in KOTOR2? :P

But... well... I have a hard time imagining spawning at the hangar (201TEL, there is no "under attack" version instead of 221TEL) is caused by cheating more than some very freaky mod incompatibility...

I'm guessing Traveller meant to say Telos Citadel Station, considering the Ithorian Compound was mentioned. If that's the case he/she can edit his/her comment to reflect the correct planet in his/her post.

I know (as seen by the second line actually talking about the issue).

@ Traveller; Neither Peragus nor Sion cutscene do this, so you probably have lingering half-(not-)working mods breaking your game. Advise; Reinstall.

I know (as seen by the second line actually talking about the issue).

@ Traveller; Neither Peragus nor Sion cutscene do this, so you probably have lingering half-(not-)working mods breaking your game. Advise; Reinstall.

Well, here are the mods I use. I'll install KotOR II once again, as aggravating as it is. But perhaps in this list you can find something I missed.

Quarren and Sullustian Retextures (not an official mod, but simply skins I found online)

Big Bad sound Mod, Mark II

Dantooine Mechanic Fix

Darth Malak's Armor Reskin

Darth Nihilus Animation Fix(1)

Influence Bug Fix 1.2(2)

Kill The Ithorian

Prequel Sabres(3)

Replacement Hilts Megapack

Short Lightsaber Replacement Hilts

Peragus Tweak

Restored Content Mod 1.7 Unofficial Fix

Rubat Crystal Fix

Shiny Mandalorians

Ultimate Sound Mod

Coruscant High Resolution Skybox Textures

Fixed Mandalorian Banners

Goto's Yacht Window Upgrade

Handmaiden Underwear For Females

Heavy Repeater Pack

Lightsaber Parts Icon Fix

Movie-style Jedi Master Robes

Realistic Nar Shaddaa Skybox Textures

T.W.O. Blaster Rifle Pack

T.W.O. Heavy Blaster Pack

Cyan Lightsaber Bug Fix

Trayus Rank Reform

I use a pair of KotOR I skin sets in my override. The first is a set of high-res Mandalorian armor textures. The second is the Republic Uniforms mod. I had to modify Republic Uniforms for KotOR II by extracting the one head Obsidian added. Since in both cases these are only skins and not model changes, I don't believe either mod to be the source of my problems.

(1)I replaced the mask skin with the skin from 90SK's Ultimate Appearance Upgrade.

(2)This mod isn't on the RCM compatibility list, and has not been tested for compatibility. However, the two files within it, bp_influence_fix.ncs and k_hen_heartbt01.ncs, are game files that to the best of my knowledge are not modified by the RCM.

(2)Blade retextures only.

4/2/12 EDIT: The timing of this was impeccable. Three days after this post was made, I had to completely reinstall Windows 7 from scratch. In doing so, it afforded me an opportunity to do a fresh install of KotOR II. I don't know where I went wrong in my previous install that prompted this post, but the new install works perfectly. I just completed a game with no issues other than a missing Dancer's Outfit that can be attributed to an Obsidian bug. So, the final word is this: cheating doesn't break the game. The player broke the game. :P