Sign in to follow this  
Icewolfer93

TSLRCM w/ Windows 7

What is the best recommended set up with KOTOR II on Windows 7?

I know originally the game was not designed to run on Windows 7, but I've done it before, but now I'm just having issues.

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate (Dell XPS 17 Laptop) (Graphics Card with 1 GB)

I installed KOTOR II fine, and installed the TSLRCM 1.7 mod.

I enabled compatibility mode for Windows XP (SP2)

Whenever I run the game I have many graphical issues though.

The game starts up but has finicky resolution that doesn't fill the screen (game with large black border) or is sometime stuck in a window with the desktop visible.

I tried setting my desktops resolution to match the game settings but still have that problem. I decided to ignore it and went to create a character and etc.

While in character creation the screen flashes black repeatedly.

Once again I decided to ignore it and continue on, the game loads to a black screen with the typical dark green KOTOR II mouse, and I hear the beginning audio for the game about the Ebon Hawk and all being disabled. But the screen remains black. I can't get it past this black screen any suggestions?

Did you try alt+tabbing in and out of the application?

That's needed pretty frequently for me on W7 (after loading the game, and each BIK-cutscene)

I got exactly the same problems. On XP the small resolution game window would fix itself, if you just click on it. But with 7 it seems there is not much to do, but to change resolution of your computer screen. Otherwise you have to adjust resolution in the game every time you start it.

I never had that...

Make sure;

Fullscreen is set to 1 in the .ini. If not it will always start windowed.

Your taskbar (lower bar in windows) is locked. If it was "free to move" I got it appear in KOTOR2 several times, also on XP.

Hah, I got it :cool:

Haven't played this game for 2 years and forgot how exactly I was fixing the windowed mod issue. Like I said, all it takes is a double click on the upper thick border line of the window itself. Works even on Windows 7. Checked.

It's nice to see others are also having this problem. I thought I was alone... But yes, ALT-TAB in and out solves it for me too.

I never had that...

Make sure;

Fullscreen is set to 1 in the .ini. If not it will always start windowed.

Your taskbar (lower bar in windows) is locked. If it was "free to move" I got it appear in KOTOR2 several times, also on XP.

Ok it seems to always go full screen now, however there is still a large amount of black (box) space surrounding the actual gameplay window.

My normal resolution is 1600x900

KOTOR II is set to 1024x768

I've attempted to set my desktop resolution to 1024x768 but the large black box surrounding the gameplay still remains. (So technically it is fullscreen but leaves a lot of screen unused)

Is there a way to get it to fill the screen like it would when I played it years ago on my Windows XP computer?

What is this changing of the .ini you are talking about where can I modify that file?

i run it on win 7 too and its fine. yea it starts windowed and i have if i click, then the company names part will freeze so i have to click out and click back in but then it goes right to the main menu. so its no big deal. then i just maximize the window and it goes full screen. yea the black border is pretty thick, but the resolution doesnt go to this big of a moniter. the game is big enough anyway, so its no big deal. i have an hp touchsmart and i dont have problems with the game at all.

I guess we should be happy that it runs on Windows 7 at all! I still remember the dark times when I had Vista :mad: Nothing worked on that piece of crap.

I can't translate all my pages but, if you can read it:

Complete and definitive install of Kotor 2 (this is the real and only one)

Under XP, Vista or Seven

Vanilla or Restored

Native language or translated

http://assiste.free.fr/kotor_2/000_installation_uk.html

Note :

I play under 7 ultimate

Note :

The stupid story of "Vista fix"! This problem, sometimes referred to, DOES NOT concern Kotor 2. It only concerns Kotor 1 (and only under Vista). And this is not a Vista Fix but the "Miles Sound System" from Rad Games Tools.

Note :

install_disable_vertex.gif

Note :

Use "right click" and execute with admin privileges (including for the installation from the CDs)

Note

Use in compatibility mode with XP SP3 (and be up-to-date)

Note :

This allow to play in windowed mode and to switch from windowed to full screen and vice versa

This may solve resolution problems

http://assiste.free.fr/kotor_2/faq_kotor_2.html#kotor_fenetre_switch

Note :

Try V-Sync Off

Certainly lot of stuff I forget.

Start with the second post in this thread.

Also, for any mods using the TSLPatcher, I set the installer's compatibility mode to XP SP2 and check "Run as administrator" just like the guide says to do with "setup.exe" and "swkotor2.exe".