Sign in to follow this  
Timbo

MOD:Rebalanced Grenades

Rebalanced Grenades

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic -

Rebalanced Grenades v1.0.0

Overview

The goal of Rebalanced Grenades was to make makes grenades, Dexterity, and Demolitions more useful throughout the entirety of Kotor 1 by giving grenades scaling DCs similar to force powers based off of Dexterity and scaling bonus damage based off Demolitions. By making grenades more useful for ranged characters they will hopefully serve a function similar to Force powers for non-Jedi characters.

Grenades now use the following formula unless stated otherwise:

DC = 5 + Level + Dexterity modifier

if DC < 15

then DC = 15

Bonus Damage = Total Demolitions Rank/2

A minimum DC threshold of 15 is maintained to keep grenades at least as useful as they are in Vanilla in early levels. Additionally, each of the affected grenades has a damage cap added in to keep them near the game’s existing benchmarks.

Grenade Changes

• Fragmentation Grenade - DC: 5 + Level + DEX + INT (min DC: 15), max damage: 36
  • Stun Grenade - DC: 5 + Level + DEX + INT (min DC: 15)
  • Thermal Detonator - DC: 5 + Level + DEX + INT (min DC: 15), 60 Damage
  • Poison Grenade - DC: 30, 5 Damage every 3 seconds
  • Sonic Grenade - DC: 5 + Level + DEX + INT (min DC: 15), max damage: 36
  • Cryoban Grenade - DC: 5 + Level + DEX + INT (min DC: 15), Fortitude save, max damage: 36
  • Plasma Grenade - DC: 5 + Level + DEX + INT (min DC: 15), max damage: 60
  • Ion Grenade - DC: 5 + Level + DEX + INT (min DC: 15), max damage: 30, +30 Damage vs Droids
  • Adhesive Grenade – unchanged

Notes:

• A damage cap of 36 was chosen for Fragmentation, Sonic, and Cryoban grenades because it allows them to scale up to the total damage of a vanilla plasma grenade or the average damage of Force Lightning at full power. 
  • Thermal Detonators are one of the most devastating weapons in Star Wars cannon and since 60 damage is the maximum damage of Force Lightning at full power, I let it stand. Additionally, for 2000 credits a pop, I feel like they should always consistently be good.
  • Since Plasma Grenades start at 36 damage it felt natural to cap them at 60 and with a dedicated build and the right equipment you can in fact get there if you want to.
  • Ion Grenades cap at 30 for humanoids and still add an additional 30 for droids for the same reasons.

Acknowledgements

• jc2's Improved Grenades is the forebear to this mod. As far as I know jc2 is the first person to do this.
  • Thor110 who taught me much of what I needed to know to finish the script changes for this mod and most of everything else I know about modding KotOR.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    08/25/2024
  • Category
  • K1R Compatible
    Yes