Timbo

Main Character: Jedi Sentinel Only (KotOR 1)

Posted (edited)

I'm new here and I'm working on a mod and I've got most of it figured but one of the things I need to do is remove the option for the player to choose to be anything other than Jedi Sentinel and modify the dialogue accordingly. Has anything been done like this yet? I'm wondering if I've bit off more than I can chew?

Edit: Oh, and is there a way to change the color of Bastila's saber in cutscenes?

Edited by Timbo

Posted (edited)

You just need to delete the relevant buttons and 3d models, which are 1, 3, 4 & 6 in classsel_p.gui

K2_00002.jpg.d26f9c9c376d6427905d2aa165ca2334.jpg

Here is the modified file I just made to test this.
classsel_p.gui

Edited by Thor110
GUI File Included

I'm dumb. I should have specified. I'm modding KotOR 1. So I'm referring to the scene on Dantooine where you cross-class to Jedi.

8 minutes ago, Timbo said:

I'm dumb. I should have specified. I'm modding KotOR 1. So I'm referring to the scene on Dantooine where you cross-class to Jedi.

Ah, well in that case you would have to edit the dialog files in question to remove those options accordingly.

This would be for Dorak, which is "dan13_dorak.dlg" that is located within the level file "danm13_s.rim"

delete.jpg.9f9fc7ba4f249d48c4736663e3b3d5b0.jpg

Though it's highly likely that there might be other entries that you might want to delete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use this app. I get the little pop-up window that tells me that I don't have TSL installed and then nothing. The actual app never launches... What am I doing wrong?

I figured out how to do it the conversation editor in KotOR Tool but it won't save. It keeps throwing an error about filesize.

Edited by Timbo

25 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Edit: nvm. I figured out how to do it the conversation editor in KotOR Tool.

I would suggest not using KotOR Tool for much besides extracting files, even then it's usually easier to just use ERFEdit, HolocronToolset is also an option to consider.

Though I don't know what it might mess up when it comes to dialog files but it has been known to cause issues when it comes to editing files.

Also I would suggest looking into TSLPatcher and HoloPatcher for applying your changes when releasing your mod so that changes can be properly applied to the games files.

29 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Thanks for showing me this so clearly. Removing the dialogue options for the other 2 classes is actually an elegant solution that keeps the dialogue tree intact. I like it.

You're welcome and as I mentioned, there are probably a few other branches within that specific dialog that would need removing.

30 minutes ago, Timbo said:

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use this app. I get the little pop-up window that tells me that I don't have TSL installed and then nothing. The actual app never launches... What am I doing wrong?

I'm not sure what the issue is here, I always have both installed so I have never encountered this problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Thor110 said:

I'm not sure what the issue is here, I always have both installed so I have never encountered this problem.

I'm not sure what the issue was exactly but it went away when I downloaded a new copy of DLGE and I was able to make my edits.

Do you know if it's possible to change that cutscene where Bastila fights Revan? I want to change her lightsaber from yellow to green. Is it a video that has to be edited or is there a file where I can swap out the character model?

Edited by Timbo

16 minutes ago, Timbo said:

I'm not sure what the issue was exactly but it went away when I downloaded a new copy of DLGE and I was able to make my edits.

Do you know if it's possible to change that cutscene where Bastila fights Revan? I want to change her lightsaber from yellow to green. Is it a video that has to be edited or is there a file where I can swap out the character model?

That's a .bik movie file in the Movies folder. "02.bik" so you would have to do some video editing or reconstruct the scene in-game.

I was looking at reconstructing that sequence in-game a while back for my port of the first game, but it will probably be a long time before I look at the idea properly.

• Thanks 1

I was looking at reconstructing that sequence in-game a while back for my port of the first game, but it will probably be a long time before I look at the idea properly.

That's way more than I want to do. I'm perfectly fine with her having a yellow lightsaber in that scene. Care to recommend a good tutorial for assembling my mod with Holopatcher or TSLpatcher?

15 minutes ago, Timbo said:

That's way more than I want to do. I'm perfectly fine with her having a yellow lightsaber in that scene. Care to recommend a good tutorial for assembling my mod with Holopatcher or TSLpatcher?

TSLPatcher comes with a readme and a program for generating the changes.ini file for various filetypes.

One thing to note is that there is an outdated version of it floating around which is worth avoiding.

As for HoloPatcher, there is a readme on the GitHub page here.

How much does your mod change exactly?

• Thanks 1

How much does your mod change exactly?

For now, classes.2da, classpowergain.2da, dan13_dorak.dlg, feat.2da, featgain.2da, npc.2da, skills.2da, tar03_brejik031.utc, and the party members have all been modded.

I almost forgot that I need to figure out how edit Darkside Bastila, I need to change her class and build. Then I'll either do an early release or I'll move onto base items.2da, and then start editing the weapons individually.

Originally, I started updating the classes to K2 standards and adding other QoL features like lowing character levels to 1, etc. At some point the big idea became about eliminating the desire to save levels on Taris. To do that, I've elected to make the Sentinel a main character exclusive choice, spread it's feats and powers over the first 10 levels and then leave it empty after those 10 levels are gone. This encourages the user to spend those levels acquiring feats on Taris while they can.

Obviously, this makes an easy game (even on hard difficulty) even easier so an Impossible difficulty mod is also recommended. Most likely baseitems.2da will get edited before release because I want that extra difficulty from enemies that can actually hurt you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Timbo said:

For now, classes.2da, classpowergain.2da, dan13_dorak.dlg, feat.2da, featgain.2da, npc.2da, skills.2da, tar03_brejik031.utc, and the party members have all been modded.

Should be simple enough then, TSLPatcher's ChangeEdit can automatically generate the differences for the 2DA files and from there you can probably just add the dialog and character sheets to the override folder.

4 minutes ago, Timbo said:

I almost forgot that I need to figure out how edit Darkside Bastila, I need to change her class and build. Then I'll either do an early release or I'll move onto base items.2da, and then start editing the weapons individually.

Just edit her character sheet accordingly after tracking down which level contains the correct character sheet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

Just edit her character sheet accordingly after tracking down which level contains the correct character sheet.

Yeah, I think I've found it, there's like 6 of them ranging from 15 to 20 in level. I bet I can just edit them all and be fine. Thanks.

• Like 1

To Timbo, I have a similar Idea to yours. I might do another thread to discuss that.

To Thor110, I might need your help to understand TSLpatcher better

2 hours ago, DeathScepter said:

To Thor110, I might need your help to understand TSLpatcher better

There's a lengthy readme included with TSLPatcher which I read from time to time, though for the most part I read existing changes.ini files and took note of how they worked in order to make my own, I also make use of a few simple batch scripts I wrote to make lists for large numbers of files.

But for smaller mods, most things can be done using ChangeEdit to generate the changes.ini file for you.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2024 at 1:17 AM, Thor110 said:

There's a lengthy readme included with TSLPatcher which I read from time to time, though for the most part I read existing changes.ini files and took note of how they worked in order to make my own, I also make use of a few simple batch scripts I wrote to make lists for large numbers of files.

I have a question with the readme file, I'm hoping you can answer.

2.3.Create a folder inside your Mod folder named exactly tslpatchdata.
2.4.Copy all the files that belong to your MOD into the tslpatchdata folder.
2.5.Extract UNALTERED copies of any 2DA and standard game GFF format files you want the TSLPatcher to work with. These files will be copied to override and then modified if the file did not already exist in the user's override folder. Put these files in the tslpatchdata folder.

If I copy all my files into the tslpatchdata folder and then copy unaltered versions of the same files with the same name, won't windows just overwrite all of my work? What am I missing?

4 minutes ago, Timbo said:

I have a question with the readme file, I'm hoping you can answer.

If I copy all my files into the tslpatchdata folder and then copy unaltered versions of the same files with the same name, won't windows just overwrite all of my work? What am I missing?

I think that's an oversight by the writer of the readme so you aren't actually missing anything, you are correct.

Place them in a separate folder for now, but after generating your changes.ini file, all of the changes you have made to files should become instructions in the changes.ini file, at that point you will want the original files for the reason it mentions.

To be honest I would potentially suggest using HoloPatcher as it has a few new features and is actively being developed at the moment.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

I think that's an oversight by the writer of the readme so you aren't actually missing anything, you are correct.

Place them in a separate folder for now, but after generating your changes.ini file, all of the changes you have made to files should become instructions in the changes.ini file, at that point you will want the original files for the reason it mentions.

To be honest I would potentially suggest using HoloPatcher as it has a few new features and is actively being developed at the moment.

Thanks for explaining this. As a funny note, I went to double check this in Holopatcher's readme and it said to refer to TSLpatcher's readme... 

3 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Thanks for explaining this. As a funny note, I went to double check this in Holopatcher's readme and it said to refer to TSLpatcher's readme... 

Unfortunately it is difficult for people to properly write the documentation while simultaneously writing the programs themselves.

That I know of there are a few undocumented features in TSLPatcher, though the only one I can currently recall is the one I used most recently which is the HACKList which is now documented in HoloPatcher's readme.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 11:37 AM, Thor110 said:

Should be simple enough then, TSLPatcher's ChangeEdit can automatically generate the differences for the 2DA files and from there you can probably just add the dialog and character sheets to the override folder.

I think I've got the ChangeEdit business figured out but I still have a couple questions if you don't mind.

• 1. I added the utc files as gffs in my changes.ini file. Is that going to be okay?
  • 2. Should I also do with with dan13_dorak.dlg?
  • 3. If I wanted to go about doing the whole append.tlk thing. How would I do that, I feel like I missed something?

13 minutes ago, Timbo said:

I think I've got the ChangeEdit business figured out but I still have a couple questions if you don't mind.

• 1. I added the utc files as gffs in my changes.ini file. Is that going to be okay?
  • 2. Should I also do with with dan13_dorak.dlg?
  • 3. If I wanted to go about doing the whole append.tlk thing. How would I do that, I feel like I missed something?

Yes you can update utc files that way.

As for the dialog, it might be wiser to just inject your edited file into the .mod directly as if a mod alters it first, something would definitely go wrong, or install it to the Override folder.

Regarding append.tlk, I don't know if the readme covered it, I remember checking out a mod that already used it in order to understand the syntax.

This is how I use it in my own project.

[TLKList]
ReplaceFile0=replace.tlk
StrRef0=0
StrRef1=1
StrRef2=2
StrRef3=3
StrRef4=4
StrRef5=5
StrRef6=6
StrRef7=7
StrRef8=8
StrRef9=9
StrRef10=10
StrRef11=11
StrRef12=12
StrRef13=13

[replace.tlk]
123716=0
123717=1
123718=2
123720=3
123722=4
123724=5
123726=6
123728=7
123730=8
124112=9
125863=10
50302=11
136376=12
117987=13

The replace.tlk file is a feature in HoloPatcher for replacing existing strings, a feature TSLPatcher does not have.

In order to just use the append.tlk feature from TSLPatcher I believe you would want the following.

[TLKList]
StrRef0=0
StrRef1=1
StrRef2=2
StrRef3=3
StrRef4=4
StrRef5=5
StrRef6=6
StrRef7=7
StrRef8=8
StrRef9=9
StrRef10=10
StrRef11=11
StrRef12=12
StrRef13=13

Where the amount of StrRef entries match the amount of entries in your append.tlk file, you can then reference that StrRef value later in the changes.ini as I do with the following planetary.2da entry.

[planetary_mod_yavin_0]
RowIndex=13
label=Yavin
name=StrRef0
description=StrRef1
icon=GAL_Yavin_2
model=planet_11
guitag=LBL_Planet_Yavin

I hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

I don't have an append

25 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

I hope that helps.

I think it did but apparently I'm still struggling with the core concept of how the patcher is supposed to work. Here's the error log from the patcher.

[Note] [17:58:11] Loading [Settings] section from ini...
[Note] [17:58:11] Loading [TLKList] patches from ini...
[Note] [17:58:11] Loading [InstallList] patches from ini...
[Note] [17:58:11] Loading [2DAList] patches from ini...
[Error] [17:58:11] KeyError: "The [baseitems.2da] section was not found in the ini, referenced by 'Table0=baseitems.2da' in [2DAList]"
The installation was aborted with errors

I tloaded all of my modded files into tslpatchdata folder, created your changes.ini file, then loaded your modded files into the changeedit app, then replaced them all with the original unmodded files, and ran the patcher (holopatcher).

What am I doing wrong?

Sorry, if I'm being a pain. The readme felt like it was missing some crucial steps and I don't really get what I'm supposed to be doing.

5 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Sorry, if I'm being a pain. The readme felt like it was missing some crucial steps and I don't really get what I'm supposed to be doing.

No worries, I believe it is missing a few details here and there.

5 minutes ago, Timbo said:

What am I doing wrong?

by the looks of the error log, you do not have any changes being made to baseitems.2da

IE : you have Table0=baseitems.2da in the 2DAList but you do not have [baseitems.2da] elsewhere in the .ini file.

So for example

Table0=traps.2da

references an entry for TSLPatcher to look for which is [traps.2da]

[traps.2da]
AddRow0=traps_row_trap_malachor_0

[traps_row_trap_malachor_0]
label=TRAP_MALACHOR
trapscript=k_trp_generic
setdc=25
detectdcmod=25
disarmdcmod=30
trapname=1289
resref=g_i_trapkit012
name=1289
model=v_nogas
explosionsound=cb_gr_poison
2DAMEMORY26=RowIndex

[traps.2da] then references an instruction and further entry that changes values within traps.2da

so in your case you need.

[baseitems.2da]

somewhere in your changes.ini file along with any changes it might make, all of which can be added manually or generated with changes.ini by comparing an edited version of the file with an original unaltered file.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

No worries, I believe it is missing a few details here and there.

by the looks of the error log, you do not have any changes being made to baseitems.2da

IE : you have Table0=baseitems.2da in the 2DAList but you do not have [baseitems.2da] elsewhere in the .ini file.

So for example

references an entry for TSLPatcher to look for which is [traps.2da]

[traps.2da] then references an instruction and further entry that changes values within traps.2da

so in your case you need.

somewhere in your changes.ini file along with any changes it might make, all of which can be added manually or generated with changes.ini by comparing an edited version of the file with an original unaltered file.

I'm not sure how to make the app compare the files. How do I do that?

Edit: Hol up. I think I got it...

7 minutes ago, Timbo said:

I'm not sure how to make the app compare the files. How do I do that?

Edit: Hol up. I think I got it...

Tip : tooltips are handy, whenever you use a program, hover over the buttons with the mouse and see what they do or say they do, if the developer didn't add a tooltip, shame on them.

24 minutes ago, Timbo said:

I don't have an append

the append.tlk file is a user made file that is to be added to the tslpatchdata folder, it only contains new strings to be added to the dialog.tlk file.