Sign in to follow this  
mancingtom

Mod Request - Scout Jacket Instead of Vest

Hi!

Would it be possible to change the sleeves on the Scout's shirt so that it's a jacket instead of a vest?

I'd say the most expedient route would be to use my Scoundrel jacket with Scout legs hybrid mod and then pair it with Dark Hope's Scoundrel retexture that makes it a leather jacket, coupled with her Scout retexture for the legs. However, snce my mod sandwiches both textures together into one, side-by-side, you'd need to manually do that yourself with DH's textures. Alternatively, I can provide a batch file for use with the commandline tool ImageMagick to do it for you.

Edit: Here's what it would look like, pouches and no pouches versions:

image.png.b6b9145a9eceb4838488f6f9c54de472.png

Also if you want it for the Scout then the model will need to be edited, since it's currently set up to replace the Scoundrel.

• Like 2

That looks awesome! Thank you for replying. I've used your hybrid mod before--it's great! Thanks for making it.

How would the batch file thing work?

Download the attached 7-zip archive. It contains the freeware ImageMagick program needed to combine the textures, and a batch file to feed it the commands.

• Extract the archive somewhere (preferably not in Program Files).
  • Download both sets of DH's textures linked above.
  • Extract DH's textures and put them into the INPUT folder.
  • Alternatively, if you want to use the vanilla Scout leg textures or ones from a different mod, put TGA versions of those in the OUTPUT folder.
  • Double-click on Create_Combined_Texture.bat and it will merge the two sets of textures together in the OUTPUT folder.
  • In that folder you'll find the two newly merged TGAs, two TXIs, and a sub-folder with the models.
  • There are two versions of the model, one with the vanilla pouches, one without. Pick whichever version you prefer.
  • Copy and paste the models and textures into your Override folder.

However, since the textures are pretty big, I would suggest an additional step to convert the textures from TGAs to TPCs.

• Download TGA2TPC and extract it somewhere.
  • Double-click tga2tpc.exe to run it.
  • In the row of buttons up the top, click the first one, the folder icon, to set the export folder where the TPCs will be saved.
  • Next click the +TGA button and browse to find both merged textures to load them.
  • On the far right, click the Settings button and select "DXT5 (Alpha)".
  • Now click the Run button.
  • You can copy and paste the two TPCs into your Override. You don't need the TGAs or TXIs.

The TPC step is entirely optional though, so I leave the choice up to you.

The UVs for the jacket of the pouchless version, especially the female, were pretty wonky, so I fiddled with them to improve them a little. It's still not perfect however, as DH created the Scoundrel texture to fit the vanilla UVs. My pouchless model was a bit of a hack job that resulted in lots of distortion/stretching. I've (hopefully) gotten rid of the worst of it though, and as a bonus the back is no longer mirrored now as well.

Scout_Scoundrel_Hybrid_Combine_Textures.7z

• Thanks 1

Hi, so I went through the steps above, but I kept getting this when I started up the game, documented in the attached screenshot. I also ran the game without it to make sure there wasn't some other conflict in my mods, and it was normal.

It's almost certainly an error on my part, so here's a step-by-step of what I did:

1. Extract the archive for the Combine program

2. Place the .tga files for DH's scoundrel and scout into the INPUT folder.

3. Run the Combine program

4. Place the .tga and .txi files into Override, along with one set of model files depending on whether I want pouches.

Again, thanks for helping with this!

Star Wars  Knights Of The Old Republic Screenshot 2024.04.11 - 11.37.07.30.png

Hmm, I just tried again and double-checked that I was pulling files from the OUTPUT folder. The timestamps on the files also indicated they were created when I ran the combine program. Unfortunately, still ran into the same issue as the screenshot above.

Can you open one of the created TGAs in the OUTPUT folder and take a screenshot? Use Photoshop, Gimp, Paint.NET, etc.

Are you using the TGA in the Override, or did you convert it to TPC?

Edit: OK so I tested it on my end and it seems it's an issue with how ImageMagick creates its TGAs. It's causing the game to flip them. If you follow the steps above to convert them to TPCs using TGA2TPC, that fixes the problem, since it automatically detects flipped textures. If you do go that route, delete the TGAs/TXIs in your Override after copying the TPCs across.

I'll also see if I can figure out the command to get ImageMagick to create the TGAs with the proper orientation.

So I can confirm that the image data is being stored vertically flipped. Most applications can read the file and show it correctly, but KOTOR can't do that. So a hacky workaround is to add the -flip command to the batch file. That will cause KOTOR to render it correctly, but everything else (like Photoshop, etc.) to show it as vertically flipped. I'm not entirely sure that there's a command to get it to export in a form where everything will render it correctly. It might require hex editing the files afterwards to set the proper flags.

That's really interesting. It's fascinating to see how modding for these games continues to evolve—there's always a new wrinkle.

I've attached some screen shots to show what this looks like in game.

KOTOR Scout Jacket 1.png

KOTOR Scout Jacket 2.png

Looks great! Maybe in the mod itself you could make a version that looks more like Vanilla KOTOR and another that looks like Dark Hope's reskin. 

So I finally got a chance to really take this for a spin! The model looks great

But it doesn't have a shadow. As you can see in the screenshot, only the PC's head and weapon cast a shadow. I tried to troubleshoot myself, but I know so little about how KOTOR handles models that I'm far more likely to introduce new problems than diagnose this onem heh.

Shadows for other armors are working normally.

KOTOR Scout Jacket No Shadow.png

Ah, a mistake on my part. The shadow flags were enabled, but the files were ancient and apparently the model classification wasn't set to Character, which caused the shadows not to render. I've changed that and re-exported them. Tested in-game and shadows work as intended now.

Attachments don't seem to be working for me at the moment, so you'll have to grab it from here.

• Like 1