Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kuruderu_8527

TSLRCM - Handmaiden?

Guest Kuruderu_8527

I really hope the guys doing TSLRCM would incorporate the Handmaiden for Females mod into TSLRCM, just as a selectable option during install.. eg "Install TSLRCM" and "Install TSLRCM with Handmaiden for females enabled" options in a dropdown or radiobutton selector.

I think that would make a number of us enthusiast happy (i have no modding skills myself so i can´t make it work on my own)

I really hope the guys doing TSLRCM would incorporate the Handmaiden for Females mod into TSLRCM, just as a selectable option during install.. eg "Install TSLRCM" and "Install TSLRCM with Handmaiden for females enabled" options in a dropdown or radiobutton selector.

I think that would make a number of us enthusiast happy (i have no modding skills myself so i can´t make it work on my own)

A) They haven't received permission to add it in the mod . . . and more importantly

B) The two mods aren't compatible

Guest Kuruderu_8527

A) They haven't received permission to add it in the mod . . . and more importantly

B) The two mods aren't compatible

See B) was the whole reason for me to suggest it. i'd love to see it work with TSLRCM... i wasn't aware that you had no contact with the original modder (as for the A reason) :(

Guest Darth Hayze

I've been looking into a way to make a TSLRCM compatible version that contains altered dialog for FemExile. My idea is to make GoTo summonable by an armband or something of the like.

Guest Allison Lightning

I'd love Handmaiden instead of Disciple, mainly in the sense that his role could easily be taken up by other characters and she is such an intergral part of the story.

I mean I've heard that it was supposed to be once Handmaiden or Visas depending on your alignment before the game had to be finished too quickly, but Visas was important herself.

Maybe have GoTo a fixed feature on the ship and not a member of your party- changing the influence dialogue to level unlockable, I mean it doesn't have to be a member of your two partner party at any time.

Of course, one of the major problems that people would encounter with a female Exile are the voice overs that folks would encounter. If anyone wanted to actually attempt such as mod, they'd have to redo all of the lines that has Handmaiden refer to her as a woman. In addition, what happens to the whole situation with the lines between Handmaiden and Visas - would they still argue over you as a romantic option? Would they re-splice it somehow or just cut that cut scene?

On a related topic: if anyone feels they might have a talent for splicing lines like I suggested above, I may have a job for you. PM me for details - which I will read early tomorrow.

One last thing: it's not like this topic hasn't been brought up before both here and elsewhere - with lots of variations in theme if not in topic.

Examples can be found here, here, here, here, here, here,

here, here, here, and here and that's just for starters.

I'm going to sticky this thread because I'm a little tired of seeing this thread reappear. (Yes, I know I made one of the threads.)

• Like 1

Guest Mary Contrary

Glad to see so many people have my exact same opinion. Want to play TSLRCM as my Exile of choice, but I despise Disciple, he's dreadful.

just because I'm a lazy cus and don't like messing around with booleans/globals (always afraid I'll break something), does anybody know how to contact the original mod's author to get permission to make it compatable?

I read some of her comments recently on LucasForums, and she said she hasn't touched a KotOR game in three years and welcomed anyone else to try and make them compatible. I tried to do it myself, but I couldn't figure out how to work with the .dlg files well enough (from what I can tell, it is a .dlg file problem?)

I would love this. I would actually pay money for this (You reading this, modders? Money!)

Edit: Thanks for moving my post, Sith Holocron.

Also, I just thought I'd mention that V:tM - Bloodlines did something similar to this.

Like TSL, Bloodlines was a pretty great game with serious flaws and lots of unfinished content. A lot of the modders got together and, based around one larger overhaul mod, they got permission from a lot of people to include their mods.

The result is one handy executable that has all of the mods and tweaks, and in the install program, you just check which mods you want to install and which you want to skip. Some mods are incompatible, and so it keeps track of that and won't let you check off conflicting mods. I realize that's a lot of work, especially for a game like TSL that is even older and more suboptimal, I just thought I'd share that experience.

Can't really accept money...

Anyways, definitely will try to make this after 1.8 is done. Done, yes. So not an option in the installer...

I read some of her comments recently on LucasForums, and she said she hasn't touched a KotOR game in three years and welcomed anyone else to try and make them compatible. I tried to do it myself, but I couldn't figure out how to work with the .dlg files well enough (from what I can tell, it is a .dlg file problem?)

It's not just a DLG problem. Forgive me if I'm covering stuff you folks already know for the following:

Disciple is traditionally for female Exiles, Brianna is for male Exiles. The main problem is that Brianna always refers to the Exile as male for that reason, Discple will always refer to the Exile as a female (with the exception of when the male Exile meets Disciple for his only appearance in Jedi Enclave.) If you wanted a mod that truly gave you a choice between the two characters, some serious splicing would have to be done. We all know that the Handmaiden is more popular than the Disciple but it would make the most sense to splice both chracters' lines. To save some time, you would most likely remove the romance subplots if you had a Brianna with a female Exile (or Disciple with a male.) That would keep the Brianna vs Visas (or Atton vs Disciple) cut scenes from coming up but that might be a small price to pay. Of course because of those cutscenes not coming about, the booleans and globals would have to be changed as well.

Guest Mary Contrary

It's not just a DLG problem. Forgive me if I'm covering stuff you folks already know for the following:

Disciple is traditionally for female Exiles, Brianna is for male Exiles. The main problem is that Brianna always refers to the Exile as male for that reason, Discple will always refer to the Exile as a female (with the exception of when the male Exile meets Disciple for his only appearance in Jedi Enclave.) If you wanted a mod that truly gave you a choice between the two characters, some serious splicing would have to be done. We all know that the Handmaiden is more popular than the Disciple but it would make the most sense to splice both chracters' lines. To save some time, you would most likely remove the romance subplots if you had a Brianna with a female Exile (or Disciple with a male.) That would keep the Brianna vs Visas (or Atton vs Disciple) cut scenes from coming up but that might be a small price to pay. Of course because of those cutscenes not coming about, the booleans and globals would have to be changed as well.

Right, I played the existing mod (Handmaiden's Choice) over a year ago and my memory is fuzzy, but I recall only a couple of 'him' lines cropping up - for me, personally, it wasn't that big of a deal, but I can understand that as a matter of professionalism, you as a modder might not want to let that stand. I'm just weird in that I dislike Mical so much that I would rather suffer the occasional messed up pronoun.

The Handmaiden's Choice mod simply removed some of the gender checks on Telos, and if you spoke to Brianna there and chose some of the more polite options, she would stow away aboard the Ebon Hawk. Another flaw in the mod is that if the player then chose to ask Mical to join her on Dantooine, it would just overwrite Brianna.

I can't remember though, if there weren't some cut scenes with Brianna that just never happened - my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Guest Kuruderu

Right, I played the existing mod (Handmaiden's Choice) over a year ago and my memory is fuzzy, but I recall only a couple of 'him' lines cropping up - for me, personally, it wasn't that big of a deal, but I can understand that as a matter of professionalism, you as a modder might not want to let that stand. I'm just weird in that I dislike Mical so much that I would rather suffer the occasional messed up pronoun.

The Handmaiden's Choice mod simply removed some of the gender checks on Telos, and if you spoke to Brianna there and chose some of the more polite options, she would stow away aboard the Ebon Hawk. Another flaw in the mod is that if the player then chose to ask Mical to join her on Dantooine, it would just overwrite Brianna.

I can't remember though, if there weren't some cut scenes with Brianna that just never happened - my memory is a bit fuzzy.

The occasionaly "Him" reference to my female exile was easily overlooked. I too dislike Mical soooo much that i'd rather have Brianna call me "him" during gameplay.

And yes the original mod was, for lack of a better word, crude, in it's execution. but it worked.

I would love to help in any way possible to make a Handmaiden for Female portion of the TSLRCM. But as previously stated i have zero modding experience.

I just registered to let you know that I would also like to choose Handmaiden while playing TSLRCM, regardless of gender.

As for the dialogues, using the wrong reference to the player character does not bother me much. But I also would accept missing VOs for those sentences (until such a time where someone keen with an audio editor pieces together new ones). Better to have a crude fix which can always be improved in the future than nothing at all.

Even the "romance" can stay where it is. It is not that big deal anyway. It's not like there are any steamy dialogues or sex scenes. It's just talk that could also be interpreted as close friendship.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

As for the dialogues, using the wrong reference to the player character does not bother me much. But I also would accept missing VOs for those sentences (until such a time where someone keen with an audio editor pieces together new ones). Better to have a crude fix which can always be improved in the future than nothing at all.

Even the "romance" can stay where it is. It is not that big deal anyway. It's not like there are any steamy dialogues or sex scenes. It's just talk that could also be interpreted as close friendship.

Ah but you see, the romance issue is precisely the problem. For example . . .

Let's assume you can choose Brianna with a female player character. Traditionally, Disciple and Atton fight for her affections. The arguments between Disciple and Atton are now lost - namely because Disciple likely isn't there. Add to that, it would near impossible to mix and match the arguments from the "Visas vs Brianna" argument with the "Disciple Vs Atton" arguments to make it feasible.

There may not have been sex scenes but I wouldn't say that the results are entirely passionless . . . in a case where Disciple has way more influence than Atton near the end game, for instance . . .

Hassat Hunter has released a beta for a TSLRCM 1.8 compatible version of the "Handmaiden for Females mod." For all of those interested in having either Handmaiden in a female Exile's party of Disciple in a male Exile's party - I direct them to try out Hassat Hunter's beta and offer input through bug testing it.

By the way, it should go without saying that his beta is designed for TSLRCM 1.8 compatibility only so use this only with that mod and at your own risk.

• Like 1