Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gaminglord28

Mass Effect series VS KotOR series

Guest Gaminglord28

Personally I prefer KotOR but Mass Effect really is worthy of being compared to it. Probably cause Bioware made both series...

What do you all think?

Mass Effect's better, more polished, IMO. VO's for PC is great, Mass Effect 2's conversation moves are especially nice (like pushing a guy out of the window to interupt his boring ramble, for example). Combat system involves more skill than Kotor does, conversation wheel is generally more intuitive than plain old text (even though this may seem wrong to persons that would like that what they say be very clear...)... Anyway, both have their plus sides and downsides. For the Mass Effect downsides: they are not very open to modding, which is a pain in the arse if you want a bug to be fixed (by the way, be sure you recruit Samara BEFORE doing the Shadow broker DLC, for ME 2). Also, the maps are not without their flaws (you may fall out of the map in the collector ship, for instance. But then, this happens in TSL too, so...).

One thing however that makes me prefer ME over KotOR is the addition of COVERS. This is a very neat feature to get.

Guest Dak Drexl

I haven't played ME, but isn't it kind of hard to compare games made 8 years apart? That's a LONG time in video gaming... if KotOR were made today, think of how amazing it could be, even in comparison to how great the original was. I bet ME wouldn't stand a chance.

Nah, it would stand a chance. Keep in mind that Kotor's Senior Writer was Drew Karpyshyn. It was his first time at basically directing the creation of a game stoy. 8 years later, he has gained some experience at writing and I strongly recommend you to look into playing Mass Effect before you judge-it down. If Karpyshyn was good for Kotor he was at least as good with ME. Not to mention with Star Wars, he did not have to create all aliens. Turians and Batarians are very well written. There are just tons of aliens and there is a real nice depht about them.

Mass Effect is better. Although I still prefer Obsidian's writing by far. I also wish there was still actual exploration in ME2 (and assuming ME3) similar to ME1 though. Cutting that out in ME2 made me sad.

Guest Gaminglord28

I haven't played ME, but isn't it kind of hard to compare games made 8 years apart? That's a LONG time in video gaming... if KotOR were made today, think of how amazing it could be, even in comparison to how great the original was. I bet ME wouldn't stand a chance.

I only ask because my friend and I were debating it since ME first was released. I said KotOR was better and he said ME was.

I don't get how you can compare the two. They're similar in some aspects, but they're quite different games in concept.

I'm fine with how they both turned out. ME2 could have been a bit more like ME1 though

Guest Gaminglord28

I don't get how you can compare the two. They're similar in some aspects, but they're quite different games in concept.

I'm fine with how they both turned out. ME2 could have been a bit more like ME1 though

They are both highly praised Bioware sci-fi action RPGs.

Guest Allison Lightning

If this was a question of the KotOR series versus Dragon Age it be a different story but I prefer Knights of the Old Republic.

It just withstands the test of time and ages well, there's a reason I got mad at what they did in Dragon Age 2. I don't think that it makes a good RPG to be suggested what the LS/DS, Paragon/Renegade option is. I think that you should determine that personally and it really stopped me from enjoying Mass Effect. But as these are all Bioware games, I am really appreciative of their ability to craft amazing RPGs.

Hehe, too bad for ya. I'm waiting my collector edition for march 2012 and will be plainly satisfied with Shepard being a Jed... Jerk with all that moves :P

• Like 1

Guest Gaminglord28

Bioware is just amazing. It's as simple as that.

• Like 1

Guest plasma890

I prefer the KOTOR games over Mass Effect 1 overall because of the copypaste sidequests. The gameplay was also pretty unbalanced in Mass Effect 1. The only thing that made Mass Effect 1 stand out was its story.

However, Mass Effect 2 pretty much improves on all the flaws Mass Effect 1 in every way. As such, I think the KOTOR games and Mass Effect 2 are about on par with each other. I give the edge to KOTOR though for nostalgia.