cubis182

Why do only the Xbox bump maps seem to work?

There is a wealth of information here on deadlystream about bump maps and such, so if the answer is out there and I missed it, I apologize. But I was looking for examples of bumpmaps in the environment in KotOR 2 so I could see what it looks like when implemented properly, and I realized I couldn't find any. But surely there are parts that do have bump maps? I remember Goto's yacht having shiny, bumpy surfaces, and what about the floors in Khoonda? In case you don't know what I'm referring to, I have attached two screenshots of Khoonda, one from PC, and one from Xbox. Clearly there is not any detail to the floor reflections on PC, but there certainly is some on Xbox. Does anyone know why this is? Does this have to do with drivers? Hardware? I have looked a little online, but I cannot find gameplay footage of someone playing on PC with the good bump maps. Someone let me know if this is just a natural issue with PC, or if there is a solution, and if we know why it is this way.

Edit: I think I did just find an example online of the good bump-mapping on PC, but it is hard to tell and doesn't indicate why some versions of PC are like this.

381557724_pcexample.thumb.jpg.8320f59a121e49e6022f06835e6bbcf3.jpg736579605_xboxexample.thumb.png.1f76d95981feb5f19556c4b680fd0516.png

Edited by cubis182

Hey,

Here they are in GOG PC version on a recent NVIDIA GPU. Seems like it has nothing to do with Xbox/PC, but I did notice that this effect is most noticeable on High texture quality.

Other than that, I have no idea.

tsl-pc-bumpmaps.jpg

• Like 1

I see. I just was able to get ahold of a disc drive with which to install my old PC copy, and the normal maps worked on that one too. Thank you! It makes sense that the Steam version is that way.