Sign in to follow this  
AmanoJyaku

Locks, mines, and XP in TSLRCM

I was discussing XP with someone and we noticed StrategyWiki's entries sometimes deviate from our own experiences. Is anyone familiar with the XP granted for things like locks and mines? I know it's based on your level, but slightly more complicated.

When recovering mines it's supposed to be 15*level, then drops to 10*level once you're five levels higher than the mine max. E.g. minor mines are max level 5, so 75XP at level 5 and 60XP at level 6; average mines are max level 10, so 150XP at level 10 and 110XP at level 11; etc... Is this always true in TSLRCM? The person I spoke with claimed they always got 15*level on Peragus, but that never happened to me.

When picking locks it's supposed to be 5*level, but some locks give 10*level. How does this work? Are there thresholds like with mines, or is the award specific to each lock? What's confusing is in the Harbinger picking locks at level 6 gives more XP than at level 7, indicating a threshold. But I've seen nothing like it afterward.

Are there any other XP awards that change when your level does? Other than combat, of course. Computer and repair come to mind, as some rewards are based on your level and others are fixed. I'm fairly certain that's controlled by scripts, like the computer console in the Peragus mining tunnels.

1 hour ago, AmanoJyaku said:

Computer and repair come to mind, as some rewards are based on your level and others are fixed.

This appears to be determined by a function in k_inc_utility. Unlocking doors, repairing weapons, repairing targeting systems and repairing shields gives 15 exp per level. Releasing gas, setting droids on patrol routes and modifying droids gives 20 exp per level. Deactivating turrets and deactivating droids 10 exp per level.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TamerBill said:

This appears to be determined by a function in k_inc_utility. Unlocking doors, repairing weapons, repairing targeting systems and repairing shields gives 15 exp per level. Releasing gas, setting droids on patrol routes and modifying droids gives 20 exp per level. Deactivating turrets and deactivating droids 10 exp per level.

Thanks! It's probably more complicated than this (I don't see any code explaining the XP drop on the Harbinger), but it supports the idea of examining scripts further.

Well, locks and mines are a different kettle of fish, unfortunately. Those aren't scripted, they're hardcoded.

That mine formula is mostly accurate, although there's at least one factor they haven't considered since lowering the difficulty to Easy cuts recovery exp to 10 per level as well.

Bear in mind that holding levels doesn't for awarded exp, so if you have enough exp to get to level 2 but haven't yet you'll get 10/15 not 20/30.

For the lock discrepancy, the wiki claims there are certain specific locks that scale to your level, ie they add your level to the DC. Those are the locks that grant 10 exp per level. I don't see any fields in KotorTool that govern that, so I don't know how they're designated.