cicnos

Texture not applying to custom 3d model

Hi everyone, hope you are enjoying the kotor remake news yaaay lets hope they don't mess it up or something, right?:sweat:

Aaanyway, lets get to the point. Long story short, i made a horrible bad model in blender (based on the one made by apeiron remake team ) and exported it with kotorblender, used substance for the bake of the high poly and texturing the base color, and then merged the texture sets into one TGA (i know is not necesary casue you can mask meshes in substance, but i didnt know better). The thing is, altough my model shows up in kotor when i put it into the override folder, the texture is not appying on it. The model is unwrapped, and when i apply the texture on blender it works fine, so maybe i'm missing some kind of step concerning custom 3d models? (replaces blstr_001 that you get in the endar spire). Converting it to TPC is not working either and im out of ideas :wallbash: Thanks for reading!!:D

My steps:

-Create 3d model (high and low poly), replace the one imported form kotor respecting the hierarchy( blstr_001) and export the low poly mdl with kotorblender

-Bake and texturing in substance, then merge the texture sets in one texture (those texture sets belong to the same uvmap so they work fine when merged, at least in blender)

-Convert the kotorblender .mdl into binary with mdlEdit and then to override folder with the its TGA texture. Mesh works fine but looks white, like the texture is not applying.

(Srry for my bad english)

Edited by cicnos

For models like weapons, the texture needs to be specified in the model itself. I don't use Blender, so I don't know how KBlender handles this, but you can always edit the ASCII it exports manually in a text editor. You'll see a bitmap line amongst the various data for the mesh. For example:

node trimesh BlstrPst02
  parent w_BlstrPstl_003
  position 0.0102975 0.131421 0.0833597
  orientation 1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
  alpha 1.0
  scale 1.0
  selfillumcolor 0.0 0.0 0.0
  diffuse 1.0 1.0 1.0
  ambient 1.0 1.0 1.0
  transparencyhint 0
  animateuv 0
  uvdirectionx 0.0
  uvdirectiony 0.0
  uvjitter 0.0
  uvjitterspeed 0.0
  lightmapped 0
  rotatetexture 0
  m_bIsBackgroundGeometry 0
  shadow 0
  beaming 0
  render 1
  dirt_enabled 0
  dirt_texture 1
  dirt_worldspace 1
  hologram_donotdraw 0
  tangentspace 0
  inv_count 94
  bitmap w_BlstrPstl_003

If your mesh doesn't have a texture assigned, it will say NULL.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

For models like weapons, the texture needs to be specified in the model itself. I don't use Blender, so I don't know how KBlender handles this, but you can always edit the ASCII it exports manually in a text editor. You'll see a bitmap line amongst the various data for the mesh. For example:

node trimesh BlstrPst02
  parent w_BlstrPstl_003
  alpha 1.0
  scale 1.0
  diffuse 1.0 1.0 1.0
  ambient 1.0 1.0 1.0
  transparencyhint 0
  animateuv 0
  uvdirectionx 0.0
  uvdirectiony 0.0
  uvjitter 0.0
  uvjitterspeed 0.0
  lightmapped 0
  rotatetexture 0
  shadow 0
  beaming 0
  render 1
  dirt_enabled 0
  dirt_texture 1
  dirt_worldspace 1
  hologram_donotdraw 0
  tangentspace 0
  inv_count 94
  bitmap w_BlstrPstl_003

Oh, thats good to know!! I think its working now, its looking all black and metalic, but im guessing thats an easy shader fix with .txi editing, i hope lol. I must have messed up something in the kotorblender export cause is the first time i'm seeing the null bitmap.

42 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

node trimesh BlstrPst02
  parent w_BlstrPstl_003
  alpha 1.0
  scale 1.0
  diffuse 1.0 1.0 1.0
  ambient 1.0 1.0 1.0
  transparencyhint 0
  animateuv 0
  uvdirectionx 0.0
  uvdirectiony 0.0
  uvjitter 0.0
  uvjitterspeed 0.0
  lightmapped 0
  rotatetexture 0
  shadow 0
  beaming 0
  render 1
  dirt_enabled 0
  dirt_texture 1
  dirt_worldspace 1
  hologram_donotdraw 0
  tangentspace 0
  inv_count 94
  bitmap w_BlstrPstl_003

Well, i thought it would be an easy fix by making a txi with no CM_baremetal shader, but it still looks all black and metallic, maybe i cant delete that shader info form the game model?

Okey so i fixed it!!! I managed to "eliminate" the shader by turning the alpha of the texture white. I just had to visit and old post of mine here in the forum where i asked about the exact same shader and is functionality. and thankfully there was an answer :D

Since its not a great model and the uv's are a mess, im not planning on uploading it, but i'll leave some images here if anyone its curious20210911161006_1.thumb.jpg.773cff35af240f9147a91469b7903c5f.jpg929090867_Sinttulo.thumb.png.286c0b3eea19ead91c94a66c15883105.png