Sign in to follow this  
Kumus’s Boma

Changing headgear model

Extract the template file g_i_mask15.uti with KotOR Tool (Kotor I -> BIFs -> templates.bif -> Blueprint, Item) , that's the Stabilizer Mask (see GameBanshee to look up the template names). Extract to your Override folder or for now to a temporary location to keep some more overview.
Now you can open (no need to extract) g_i_mask06.uti (Vacuum Mask) to check its Model Variation value: 10. This means that the model name for it is i_mask_010.mdl & i_mask_010.mdx (2 files make up the 3D model).

The filename of the texture for a mask is "embedded" in the 3D model, in this case that means that you need to do some things to let the 2 instances of the same model use 2 different textures:
- Extract i_mask_010.mdl & i_mask_010.mdx (KotOR Tool: Kotor I -> BIFs -> items.bif -> Aurora Model & Aurora Model Extension), give them a new number. 001 through 014 are used by vanilla items and best not to use 015 but something a bit more random to make it less likely to conflict with another mod.
- Use K-GFF* to open your g_i_mask15.uti and change the Model Variation value to reflect that new number you picked (without zeros at the front). Model swapping part done.
- Now use MDLedit, load the mdl file -> Menu: Edit -> Textures -> click on the name, change it to whatever you like -> Menu: Save, Binary, replace original file. While doing this you'll see what the original texture is, you can extract it with KotOR Tool, edit it and of course make sure it matches that name you picked in MDLedit (not case sensitive and in MDLedit you don't add ".tga").

In the end you do need to put everything in your Override folder to test things.
So you''ll have:
- g_i_mask15.uti with a different model variation inside, to replace the original Stabilizer Mask model
- a mdl and mdx file to match the model variation with a different texture reference inside of it
- a new texture
- Oh right, an icon.. the name that the game will try to pull up is also based on the model variation number. You can export/extract ii_mask_010.tpc to a .tga from Kotor I -> ERFs -> TexturePacks -> swpc_tex_gui.erf -> I
Tweak that and change 10 in the filename to whatever model variation number you picked. Or use a photo of a kitten as your icon.

* You can just do it with KotOR Tool, but I was told that that can make item names and descriptions English for other language versions of the game.

Good luck & feel free to ask questions if you get stuck on something!