BearLesbian

Exporting models with KotORBlender?

I'm trying to export an edited head mesh and hair, that I edited in Blender, but exporting doesn't seem to work nor make sense to me?

I have the option to export as .mdl, but doesn't the data also exist within the .mdx? I don't get one of those by exporting. I tried to use mdlops to read and write the model, but I always get the error that "file can't be found", which leads me to believe something went wrong at the blender export.

Anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

(I have attracted my blender n model file, in case someone needs to to find my mistake)

Blendermodel.zip

Edited by BearLesbian

What version of Blender are you using? I find 2.78 to work best with KotORBlender. And when exporting, what are your Odyssey settings?

220535750_ScreenShot2021-02-14at12_23_16PM.png.2c9a093a356d53659a4c4bd45b4bdb3b.png

Edit: Also, what version of KotORBlender are you using?

Edit: Do you have S_Female03.mdl and PFH_TOR_JaesaK12.mdl in the same folder than you're trying to recompile Head n Hair model.mdl in?

Using 2.78 as well, all my settings are checked as yours on the picture, am using kotorblender v 1.01, and no, only PFH_TOR_JaesaK12.mdl in folder

1 hour ago, BearLesbian said:

Using 2.78 as well, all my settings are checked as yours on the picture, am using kotorblender v 1.01, and no, only PFH_TOR_JaesaK12.mdl in folder

Try this: it's the lastest version of kotorblender, 1.03 I think it is: https://github.com/ndixUR/kotorblender

Also, try recompiling the model with the model with S_Female03.mdl in that folder.

New version does the same. However in mdledit, it gives the error that a bone is missing ? Dunno if that could explain why it won't export correctly

also, I think I misunderstood what you meant by recompiling. Do you mean when I read and write via. mdlops ? Or am I missing an important step in the export process (btw I can't find a S_Female03.mdl file, is it from Kotor2? Because I'm trying to mod Kotor1 currently, if not, where would I find this file?)

Sorry, yes, that's what I meant, Read and Write. As far as s_female03.mdl, you can find it in Kotor Tools under BIFs -> models.bif -> Aurora Model.

I'm probably not doing the description justice, body models are still relatively new to me, but this what's called a "supermodel" and other models reference this model.

Hmm, can't seem to open the model.bif, unlike the others like player.bif I can't expand it further. If you have it available would you mind sending it ?

8 minutes ago, BearLesbian said:

Hmm, can't seem to open the model.bif, unlike the others like player.bif I can't expand it further. If you have it available would you mind sending it ?

See attached. .mdx is there just in case.

s_female03.mdl s_female03.mdx

1 minute ago, BearLesbian said:

Works, thank you 👍 However, the head has no animations for some reason, so I'm gonna have to work on that now 

One thing that I usually do is to grab the animation code from the decompiled file and save that separately. I'll then import the model into Blender, not including the animations, and then export without animations again. Then I'll copy/paste the animation code from before.

Where would I find the animation code ? I'm still very new to kotor modding

also, when I write and read the mdl model, which option should be checked ?

image.png.fb42179527f26bdf2dfeee9bfc859c01.png

3 hours ago, BearLesbian said:

Where would I find the animation code ? I'm still very new to kotor modding

also, when I write and read the mdl model, which option should be checked ?

image.png.fb42179527f26bdf2dfeee9bfc859c01.png

So before you import your decompiled model into Blender, you should open your .ascii file in a code editor (text editor should work as well), and look for a line that starts with newanim model_name. You'll want to copy from that line all the way down until doneanim on model_name.

2064000920_ScreenShot2021-02-15at8_25_01AM.thumb.png.b24c3af78bed8dac1a3e742216885133.png

1966134967_ScreenShot2021-02-15at8_27_03AM.thumb.png.69532545bbdaeb9b255a416e963818b0.png

After you've worked on your model and have exported from Blender, open that file in your editor and paste the previously copied code. Make sure it goes after endmodelgeom model_name and before donemodel model_name. Save and close file the compile in mdlops as normal.

As far as the settings, I haven't done any head work, so maybe just try both?

Hopefully this all makes sense! Let me know if not and I'll see what I can do.