Sign in to follow this  
Salk

[KotOR] Bastlia's odd spawning on the Ebon Hawk

Hello!

At first I thought it was something due to my heavily modded platform but then I tried removing all .mod files and all the files in my Override and then load a saved game before flying with the Ebon Hawk from one planet to another and the result was the same so I'm wondering if anyone reading here could try and see if this odd behavior could be replicated.

In short, what happens is that after arriving to a new planet the game loads the ebo_m12aa module and when it's done Bastila's character will be destroyed (depending on the loading time I could see the character fade away) and immediately respawned a bit closer to the Player. It's just a cosmetic problem but it's still quite irritating.

Could someone verify this is an issue with the original game?

Thanks!

UPDATE: I suspect the culprit is k_pebn_pophawk.ncs

Edited by Salk
Additional info

All party members get destroyed and respawned by the module OnLoad. They should always spawn at the same waypoint rather than having anything to do with the player. Unless the player was standing on top of the waypoint (which should be impossible).

• Like 1

Indeed.

I was mentioning the Player only to give an approximate indication to where Bastila spawns, as opposed to where she should spawn (pebn_bastila). I'm not sure why this happens but Bastila (and possibly other NPCs) does not always spawn at the right location.

My suspicion is that it is caused by some glitchy timing with the engine which tries to spawns Bastila in the same place where the "old" Bastila was thus spawning her nearby instead.

There should be a 0.2s delay to destroy the existing NPCs, and a 0.5s delay to spawn them back - i.e. 0.3s apart. So yes, it's possible there might be some collision interference from "ghost Bastila" I guess. You could try padding the spawn-in by another few milliseconds to see if that helps at all.  Alternatively, there's always the woodshed technique.

You could also try switching to a stated location instead of doing a GetLocation from a waypoint. Not that that should make any difference, but the game is kind of screwy with waypoints.

Regarding the fade out, yes, that is a known problem because they didn't set the NoFade flag in DestroyObject to TRUE. It's fixed in the revised version I have for K1CP that also fixes Juhani missing a state save like all the other party members, but I never got around to adding that before the release of 1.8.

Just be aware that k_pebn_pophawk resref is used in all the EH modules, so it must be injected into a MOD unless you want to bork the Lehon sequence.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

Regarding the fade out, yes, that is a known problem because they didn't set the NoFade flag in DestroyObject to TRUE. It's fixed in the revised version I have for K1CP that also fixes Juhani missing a state save like all the other party members, but I never got around to adding that before the release of 1.8.

Good find, the latter.

In the original script there is a senseless ClearAllEffects() in stead of  SaveNPCState(). Wonder where it came from...

Cheers!