xaayer

Using blender for animation

Hello I am trying to modify a character in Blender. I've been able to successfully import with Kotorblender and it lists that it transfers animations as well, but I don't see the animations within blender nor do I understand how character animation works as this does not use bones as I understand them. I was also able to import it into gmax and see the animations, however I have no experience in Gmax and I haven't been able to find any tutorials that could help with animation and the User Reference link in the Help menu doesn't do anything.

My goal is to add animations to an existing character model, so I'm not looking to modify the character nor texture. I would do the 'swap' I saw in a tutorial somewhere, but the character is not fully humanoid, so that would definitely not work.

Ig uess my question is has anyone successfully added animations to characters using blender?

I would suggest trying to use Blender is going to lead to you not having a very good time. I don't know that the KOTORBlender script is up to the task of exporting animations in the proper format. It's a pain in the ass trying to get Max to do it. Maybe you could get a workable solution with some manual editing of the ASCII, but I'd suggest experimenting with something simple first to see how it goes.

Be aware that, generally speaking, you can't just add "new" animations. The game has a hard-coded limit on the specific animations it will accept for combat and so forth. What exactly are you wanting to accomplish?

On 10/28/2019 at 2:05 AM, DarthParametric said:

I would suggest trying to use Blender is going to lead to you not having a very good time. I don't know that the KOTORBlender script is up to the task of exporting animations in the proper format. It's a pain in the ass trying to get Max to do it. Maybe you could get a workable solution with some manual editing of the ASCII, but I'd suggest experimenting with something simple first to see how it goes.

Be aware that, generally speaking, you can't just add "new" animations. The game has a hard-coded limit on the specific animations it will accept for combat and so forth. What exactly are you wanting to accomplish?

There is a character model that has basic animations such as walk/run, idle, standing, cheer, fall, death, etc. I'd like to add attack animations as well but since it isn't humanoid like most other character models, it's not as simple as switching the rigging or placing the mesh over the pc skeleton like other characters are able to do

On 10/28/2019 at 4:17 AM, Hunters Run said:

Each animation is stored in it's own scene. 

Not those kids of animations