Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Artenon

Filling in in animations with existing animations?

Working on modding Atton into a Selkath. Can I work around the relative lack of selkath animations by substituting duplicate existing animations from the same model? How would this be done?

What I have in mind:

- Use one of the idle animations for the character sheet.
- Use the unarmed melee attack animation for grenade throwing and all sword/sabre animations.
- Use the standard blaster attack animation for power shot, rapid fire, etc.

Character Sheet Idle.JPG

You can, yes. It's tedious, but it can be done. Probably easiest to do it in Notepad.

First, extract the Selkath MDL and MDX and convert it to ASCII format with MDLOps or MDLEdit. This will create an editable text file. Do a search for the string "newanim" until you find the animation you want to duplicate. The naming scheme for these is tricky to decipher, but I have a tutorial here and animations.2da may also help. Though you may find it easier to import with KOTORMax or KOTORBlender so you can see the animations. Anyway, once you've figured out what you want to duplicate, copy the entire tree of text, from the newanim like to the doneanim line and paste it anywhere at the bottom of the animation list, after the last doneanim but before donemodel. Change the name of the animation, newanim xxx to newanim yyy and doneanim xxx to doneanim yyy. You'll have to figure out what you have to change it to, of course. Repeat this process for all the animations you want to duplicate, then convert the file back to binary MDL/MDX with MDLOps/MDLEdit.

This is probably a super dumb question but I am always in the dark with these things. I imported Talia from K2 to K1, but she isn't responding to most K1 animations. I've tried various things and am getting the feeling that her model doesn't have the right animations included to respond. I was wondering if there is a way to input missing animations--not combat ones but the ones involving all the K1 emotional expressions like greeting or horror or scripts like k_ptar_drunk_sp. The model doesn't seem to respond to any of them and seems to only be able to do things like that weird finger twirl when explaining things.

I searched for newanim in the ASCII file but it's not there.

(She does have "ambient" animations when just standing in one place. She moves a bit like other KOTOR characters.)

----

ETA: I feel like an idiot for asking this question now. I was testing Talia as a traveler on Manaan, and if I switch her to the other traveler all the animations work, so there was never a problem with her model in this way.