DarthVarkor

Porting "Lightsaber_Floating" from TSL to K1

Would it be possible to port the "Lightsaber_Floating" appearance from TSL to K1? I ignorantly assumed it would have just been a simple case of exporting an item from KOTOR Tool with the floating lightsaber disguise attached and dropping it in my K1 override but that yielded no result. 

2018-08-09 13_40_04-Item Property Editor.jpg

The floating lightsaber is just a rig with animations, essentially an invisible hand. Treat it like any other creature or NPC. It needs a UTC with a lightsaber equipped on its paperdoll. And of course you need to recompile the model for K1.

• Like 1

Just now, DarthParametric said:

The floating lightsaber is just a rig with animations, essentially an invisible hand. Treat it like any other creature or NPC. It needs a UTC with a lightsaber equipped on its paperdoll. And of course you need to recompile the model for K1.

Thanks for the response, DP. Would anyone be able to help me out with this? I'm a complete novice at this kind of thing.

You need to create a new row for it in K1's appearance.2da, copying across the appropriate values from TSL (bearing in mind the differences in columns). I gather you have already done that part.

Then you need to create a new UTC for it. You can do this by duplicating an existing K1 UTC, changing the appearance, giving it a unique resref/tag, giving it appropriate feats, editing the inventory, etc. Look at c_lightsaber004.utc in 907MAL to see what Obsidian did.

After that, you'll need to add it to the module's GIT to make sure it spawns in the module. Depending on what you want it to do, you may also need additional scripts and/or dialogues.

Ideally I need it as an equippable item (like a belt) that causes the player to go completely invisible once equipped, like it does in K2 adding it as a disguise feature to an UTI (say, a_belt_01 for example). Does this method still work for that?

Just now, DarthParametric said:

If you want to turn a player invisible, that's really not the ideal way to go about it - in either game. What is it exactly you are trying to do?

That’s essentially what I want to do, yeah. It’s an old machinima trick I’ve used for years, it’s helpful when writing scripts to get characters to walk to places without having to get the coordinates and such.

I didn’t know there was an easy method available?

Ah, machinima. I assume you are puppeting it all manually in that case then rather than creating cutscenes?

As I said above, the model needs to be recompiled for K1 in order for it to work. You could just create a new invisible model, since all you need is a rig with no visible trimeshes (and presumably no shadows enabled). Either way, if there is a proper row for it in appearance.2da then it should work.

Yeah, sorry, should have specified it was for machinima uses. You’re right about the puppeting; I’m still a beginner at the serious modding stuff so my knowledge with cutscene stuff is limited.

How would I go about the method you just described?