Elwood288

Elwood's Questions

In an effort to not clutter up the forums I'll be posting all questions I have here in this thread.

First one. I am currently trying to make a new piece of headgear based on the  verpine headband but with a new texture that makes it blue. So my question is how do I make the new item have the blue texture without changing the red texture on the original. Unlike with armor there is no texture box for headgear.

What it looks like in KOTOR Tool

351vorq.png

Currently my theory is I will have to copy the model, apply the blue texture and then add it to the game in a new slot. I am having trouble finding an mdl editor to do that with though.

Change the model variation to 88. Also, make sure the texture name has the 88

I did what you said and it didn't work out. The model changed to a different piece of headgear.

30lpj0y.jpg

Here's the files I have for it right now.  The I_VerpHBnd88 is the item texture.  Not really using the mdl as it crashed the game when I put it in my override and tried to equip the headband.

24b0xo1.png

Right thanks. I've added the mdx and the headgear is now the correct model but it is still using to the original texture. Seems it's tied to that model. How would I change that to my texture?

Google "XVI32 hex editor", download that, and then open your .mdl file in it.

Do a search and replace for "I_VerpHBnd" and replace it with something else. But NO MATTER WHAT, keep the number of characters the same. For example, "I_VerpHBnd" without the quotes is 10 characters long. Your replacement should also be 10 characters long.

Do a Replace All, save the .mdl file, and then rename your texture.

That did the trick but I'm having a bit of a glitch. It seems that if anything with the default texture is equipped by anyone else in a module where someone has my visor equipped it uses the mod texture instead of the default. Since that description was pretty horrible here's a video.

This is the sort of thing you want, right?

TSL_Blue_Verpine_Band.jpg

You missed a reference to the texture in the MDL, you only replaced 3 of the 4 references, so there is still a bit of red in your version.

Your UTI is a bit odd. You are using a K1 resref/tag instead in a TSL item, although it still works OK, it just doesn't follow the existing convention.

Other than those nitpicks, I can add it to my inventory via KSE and it shows up fine.

Just out of curiosity, replace your MDL/MDX with this version and see if you still have the texture issue you mentioned above:

http://dpimages.wheb.org/files/kotor/tsl/%5BTSL%5D_Blue_Verpine_Band.7z

Yep that's what it should look like.   So I missed a ref? Let me go check that out. Also when I try to download that 7zip I get a 404 not found.

Changed the AuroraBase name.

If you look at the original MDL in your hex editor (and probably decompile it in MDLOps so you can look through the ASCII file in a text editor), you'll see there are two instances of "I_Mask_011". The first is the name of the AuroraBase, and the second is indicating that it is the parent of trimesh VerpineHeadBand. I simply replaced both those instances with "I_Mask_088".

Right okay. I wondered if I should change those but left them alone. Well it's working now so thanks everyone for your help.