Guest cornel

batch editing the dialog.tlk file

Guest cornel

:P

EDIT: Okay, so I almost gave up on the whole dialog editing thing, because after three solid days of work, checking every half an hour (and getting tired of that, so in the end checking every hour or so), I finally (at the very end of the 50.000 entries file) managed to mess it up again... ending up once again with other strange typos in the menus...

I tried to reverse the last changes, but the number of undos did not suffice :(

So I'm back at square one... I'm usually the opposite of a quitter... but on this thing... I'm close to giving up. Anyway, I'm gonna try to do this with another program (WinMerge instead of NotePad++), to see if the error comes from the editor I use... WinMerge detected carriage return differences between the original dialog.tlk text file and the modified one... That's strange, since I don't use the enter key, I just copy and past my modified lines in the dialog fields...

Guest cornel

Breakthrough!!!

What I've done is, copying large chunks of modified dialog into a clean (unaltered) dialog text file, and test the dialog.tlk with the game to see if the menu has any funny typos. Each time I copied a smaller chunk of text until I found the culprit.This way i have been able to pinpoint several instances where the copy past process I've been doing was not 100% accurate.

I'm no programmer at all, so I'm talking baby talk for most of you here, but it seems that the errors are always the same two:

1. It seems the copy-paste action left out some "NULL" parts (I have no idea what those are) in some sound file names (see pic)...

2. I've also noticed that, if you erase a dialog from the text field in the dialog.tlk text file, you should always leave the space after the "text:" entry... If you don't (and I didn't... you know, with the thought of cleaning everything neatly up. No sense in leaving useless spaces, right?), you'll also get those strange typos in the menus!

It was a lot of work, but I'm very happy that - in the end, I will get to play "my game" (bliss)... Anyway, hope this is of use to someone.

Many thanks for your support, guys!

:D

post-17120-0-51546100-1457602566_thumb.jpg

Nul is a notepad++ indicator. Apparently you clicked something to enable them, and then copied them, leading to the error.

2. I've also noticed that, if you erase a dialog from the text field in the dialog.tlk text file, you should always leave the space after the "text:" entry... If you don't (and I didn't... you know, with the thought of cleaning everything neatly up. No sense in leaving useless spaces, right?), you'll also get those strange typos in the menus!

I wouldn't want to see you trying to program with Python...

In most cases, the formatting is there for a reason, you know.

Guest cornel

LOL :P

I do now!!!

But, as i said before somewhere: I'm no programmer... Maybe my mistakes help other noobs on this forum.