Guest cornel

.gui files editor

Guest cornel

Is there an utility to open, view and edit .gui files?

Not sure if you ever went back and looked at all the replies in your main menu thread, but someone mentioned that you could open .gui files in K-GFF. There's no visible/graphical editor, though.

Guest cornel

I did and I downloaded that file. But although in the readme an editor is mentioned, there is none in the zip file. K-GFF is not an editor. At least, I wasn't able to edit anything with it.

If there was a .exe file in that zip file, then there was an editor.

K-GFF displays the data in the file (whether it's a .utc, .git, or .gui doesn't matter) in a tree-and-branch format. You need to click on an entry and then the section on the right will be populated with the info.

You can edit it there, then click on another entry in the tree to confirm the changes before saving.*

*: You need to do this, or the entry's changes won't register!

Guest cornel

I don't know if this is because I'm on W7 64bit... but the K-GFF utility often doesn't redraw its window content, thus showing the desktop that's underneath :(

Thank you for the instructions. It's clearly not a tool for the non-programmers among us, like me ;) There are no clear (understandable) labels, just a bunch of cryptic designations like "struct", "border", "vector", "controls", "extent"... Don't know what to make of that, I'm afraid :(

P.S.

There is an option in the "file" menu to "launch in GFF editor". When chosen, a search dialog pops up, asking to locate the "GFF editor.exe" file... ???

It's not that it's not for non-programmers; it just doesn't try to provide a fancy interface of buttons, check buttons, and what-not that would have to be custom-tailored for each file type... If you were to open a .utc file, you'd see wildly different information, but at its center, the file formats are the same.

The key for editing the file is the labels themselves. In the case of .gui files, you can look at the tag for an idea of what the control does.

Currently, this is how you edit .gui files.

However, here's my cheat sheet that I've worked up so far while working on a project for a while now:

GUI_Sub-sections.txt

As to your last comment, that was an ancient program that I don't believe was ever publicly-available; more of a debugging aid for the programmer of K-GFF.

Guest cornel

Wow! Thank you very much for that sheet! Made things A LOT clearer!

:D

It's not that it's not for non-programmers; it just doesn't try to provide a fancy interface of buttons, check buttons, and what-not that would have to be custom-tailored for each file type... If you were to open a .utc file, you'd see wildly different information, but at its center, the file formats are the same.

The key for editing the file is the labels themselves. In the case of .gui files, you can look at the tag for an idea of what the control does.

However, here's my cheat sheet that I've worked up so far while working on a project for a while now:

attachicon.gif GUI_Sub-sections.txt

As to your last comment, that was an ancient program that I don't believe was ever publicly-available; more of a debugging aid for the programmer of K-GFF.

Hi! Could you please post that sheet file again? There's no file via that link anymore.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:15 AM, Fair Strides said:

GUI_Sub-sections.txt

I know this is an old post but I wondering if you could repost the subscript because the link gives me a blank .txt file, thanks.

Edited by LordStarkillerII

Attachments in threads don't stay attached forever.  If you see an missing attachment, you're almost always better off sending a PM to the person that originally provided it because

a) that person probably isn't following the thread

b) you won't be riling up everyone with a thread necro.