Sign in to follow this  
211darthrevan443

How to make hair textures?

I haven't really seen a tutorial on how to make hair textures for heads, and I am trying to make a mod, but I really don't know how to make that realistic look.

I am using the program "GIMP" I will be very grateful for any help.

Elaborate more on what you want to know.

How did the makers of the game make the hair...look like hair? Did they use any special tools, or were they just that good at art?

How did the makers of the game make the hair...look like hair? Did they use any special tools, or were they just that good at art?

I could show you how to make really silky smooth hair. And I mean really silky smooth haha. But that's just for texturing, not modeling the hair.

I could show you how to make really silky smooth hair. And I mean really silky smooth haha. But that's just for texturing, not modeling the hair.

modeling hair would be an interesting one

Yeah, and i forgot you can search images on google, and to my surprise, I found hair textures XD

Admin note: No double posting. If no one has posted since your last post, update the last post rather than adding a new one. I've had to merge multiple posts for you today.

In a short answer, most used stock photos and added them on top of the textures. However, some digital artists use Layers to literally build realistic hair by using each subsequent layer to add detail and highlights until it looks nearly identical to a stock photograph.

Edit___

Here's an in-depth tutorial I found to achieve what I'm describing.

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/tutorial_how_to_paint_realistic_hair

In a short answer, most used stock photos and added them on top of the textures. However, some digital artists use Layers to literally build realistic hair by using each subsequent layer to add detail and highlights until it looks nearly identical to a stock photograph.

Edit___

Here's an in-depth tutorial I found to achieve what I'm describing.

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/tutorial_how_to_paint_realistic_hair

Nice, thanks m8

basic tutorial for slapping new textures on top of old textures here gets a little trickier when there are multiple pieces of hair going in different directions, and when hair pieces are curved.

for videogame hair textures you might want to use some textures created for sim games. super realistic hair can look a bit out of place. various sims textures have been prominently used in fallout and elder scrolls games. i can try to track down some of the psds designed for retexturing if you'd like.

basic tutorial for slapping new textures on top of old textures here gets a little trickier when there are multiple pieces of hair going in different directions, and when hair pieces are curved.

for videogame hair textures you might want to use some textures created for sim games. super realistic hair can look a bit out of place. various sims textures have been prominently used in fallout and elder scrolls games. i can try to track down some of the psds designed for retexturing if you'd like.

It's fine, right now I'm trying to figure out why my head model is invisible ingame

it could be the mesh is not showing up or that the texture path is not correct. unfortunately, my modding abilities do not extend far beyond texturing. i hope you get it sorted ^^

it could be the mesh is not showing up or that the texture path is not correct. unfortunately, my modding abilities do not extend far beyond texturing. i hope you get it sorted ^^

Thanks but I never did, so I'm leaving it to anyone who would be willing to help fix it by giving them the .gmax file and .tga file

And the mod I was making wasn't supposed to be taken seriously because it is based off of a meme.

Hint: I was also going to make a sombrero for him to wear XD