Sign in to follow this  
1Leonard

[help] Ways to edit a body model

Now, I know it's possible to edit a body model by moving the vertexes and putting it through Taina's Replacer tool, I did so before under a different name (a long time ago)

But I'm wondering, is it possible to add geometry to a body model? Or replace certain parts of it? And what if it has certain animations like Atton's chest flap? Would you lose those?

I don't think the replacer tool supports added geometry so what tool should I be using if I ever did something like that?

I was just wondering, thanks in advance!

You can try, but your success may be limited. You'll have to compile new MDLs with MDLOps, and from lots of firsthand experience I know that is a complete crapshoot as to what will and won't work.

The flap on Atton's shirt is a dangly mesh/AuroraFlex, the same as some hair models use for bouncy/wavy bits. I'm not sure how well those go in custom models.

Thanks for your answer, DP!

I know from my old days of modding this game (mostly screwing around with heads and the such) that I need nwnmax and either gmax or 3dsmax. I can't seem to find either, does anyone know where I can still find those? Also what version of 3dsmax would still work with nwnmax?

Thanks anyways.

Thanks for your answer, DP!

I know from my old days of modding this game (mostly screwing around with heads and the such) that I need nwnmax and either gmax or 3dsmax. I can't seem to find either, does anyone know where I can still find those? Also what version of 3dsmax would still work with nwnmax?

Thanks anyways.

I still have an executable for gmax if that's what you need. And possibly 3dmax as well

3DS Max is commercial software, although you can get a free student license if you have a university or high school email address - http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/3ds-max

You can get GMax from here - http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

You can get NWMax from here (be sure to grab the GMax version for GMax) - http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/nwmax-8

3DS Max is commercial software, although you can get a free student license if you have a university or high school email address - http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/3ds-max

You can get GMax from here - http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

You can get NWMax from here (be sure to grab the GMax version for GMax) - http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/nwmax-8

Where am I able to get Taina's Replacer Tool? My mdl recieves an error in MDLops

Where am I able to get Taina's Replacer Tool? My mdl recieves an error in MDLops

Taina's Replacer Tool

What exactly are you trying to do? You can only move verts around with the replacer tool.

Taina's Replacer Tool

What exactly are you trying to do? You can only move verts around with the replacer tool.

Thank you for the link, and I didn't know you had to use the replacer tool. I was making a custom head in gmax, and I edited the verts, adn moved them around, so I exported it, and ran it through MDLops, but it had an error... and I don't want to start over on shaping it again, because it took me 2 hours! Isn't there a way without starting it new again?

Thank you for the link, and I didn't know you had to use the replacer tool. I was making a custom head in gmax, and I edited the verts, adn moved them around, so I exported it, and ran it through MDLops, but it had an error... and I don't want to start over on shaping it again, because it took me 2 hours! Isn't there a way without starting it new again?

You can try running it through the replacer tool to see if it works. What kind of error are you getting?

You can try running it through the replacer tool to see if it works. What kind of error are you getting?

The original: Error : Negative length at /PerlApp/MDLopsM.pm line 275

The original: Error : Negative length at /PerlApp/MDLopsM.pm line 275

Can't help you with that, try Taina's replacer tool if you didn't remove or add any of the verts.

Can't help you with that, try Taina's replacer tool if you didn't remove or add any of the verts.

I tried using the replacer and it didn't work, I tried putting the new one in and it said External exception EEFFACE

I tried using the replacer and it didn't work, I tried putting the new one in and it said External exception EEFFACE

I guess I'll just have to start anew, I don't know how to use the replacer though

I guess I'll just have to start anew, I don't know how to use the replacer though

Wait, so how do I make this work? I don't want my mdl to have an error again.

try reading the readme, it contains a tutorial ;)

Alright, I'll try that, at least my textures are still intact

UPDATE:

Ok, now my NWmax won't export the mdl, and yes i ran it as admin

Ok, now my NWmax won't export the mdl, and yes i ran it as admin

You have to export the model using the aurora thingie  (the blue square at the bottom) iirc

Omg man, I finally got the MDLops to work! It was finding adjacent faces for nodes, and was working on them, but now what do I do with the "N_VrookH-ascii-k2-bin.mdl"?

You have to export the model using the aurora thingie  (the blue square at the bottom) iirc

I have one last problem, I just finished adding everything to the heads.2da, appearance.2da, and portraits.2da(Which has no picture yet) but when I enter the game, he is no where to be seen in the character selection screen.