Jorak Uln

QUESTION on Force Cage Texture

hi, 

ive looked into Kotor Tool but couldnt find the texture of the Force Cage (in Sith Base Taris). I especially would like to retexture the force field effect.

Does anyone know the item code for it?

Any help on that would be great.

I believe you want the PLC_FrcDist01 and 02, though I think the 01 is played while it's shutting off and the 02 is the normal one.

The models are the PLC_FcCage and PLC_FcCage2, and the placeable.2da rows should be 151 and 173, respectively.

Both are animated, so here's the .txi files if you want them:

PLC_FrcDist01:

blending additive
proceduretype water
distort 1
waterwidth 32
waterheight 32
distortionamplitude 0.2
speed 4

defaultheight 14
defaultwidth 32

PLC_FrcDist02:

proceduretype cycle
numx 2
numy 2
fps 16
blending additive
downsamplemax 0
downsamplemin 0

@Fair Strides: Thanks  for the comprehensive answer! 

my goal is to get close to that one:

However i encountered some issues - so is there a way to remove the vanilla animation completely? That would be necessary because otherwise gradient or transparent textures wont work at all...

Second issue is the horrible glow - so e.g. if i assign a complete transparent texture you only see a white glowing tex around the cage and the prisoner not at all.

@Fair Strides: Thanks  for the comprehensive answer! 

my goal is to get close to that one:

attachicon.gifResistance Fighter Cage.jpg

However i encountered some issues - so is there a way to remove the vanilla animation completely? That would be necessary because otherwise gradient or transparent textures wont work at all...

Second issue is the horrible glow - so e.g. if i assign a complete transparent texture you only see a white glowing tex around the cage and the prisoner not at all.

Well, your issues are linked, in a way.

The first issue is that the texture itself is animated.

On the PLC_FrcDist01, no one as far as I know really understands the proceduretype water, but the width and height of the water is 32x32 and the speed is four, so I have to wonder if the texture is cut-up into 32x32 squares...

On the PLC_FrcDist02, the texture is cut-up into 4 frames, and then the frames are ran at 16 frames per second, meaning that the whole thing loops four times per second.

As to the second issue, to make the Force cages glow, the blending additive is used, which goes off of the Alpha channel and seems to inverse the coloring of the Alpha Channel. That's why it's so effective in Holographic textures like my Holo-Roster.

While I don't know if they mix, you might try removing the blending additive from the txi file (or just put a ; in front of it to "null" it) and at the top put:

"envmaptexture fake_blend"

and then make a texture named "fake_blend.tga" (or .dds if you convert it) with the same alpha channel (possibly also use the alpha channel as the base texture in addition to the alpha channel) and put the blending additive in the fake_blend txi. Then you MIGHT be able to get around it... Though this hasn't been tested... :(

Since a long time i tried out on the force cage again, -copied the weird txi infos from kotor tool- and managed to get around the opacy issues.

Now the only problem that stands in the way is the awkward vanilla animation.

Has anyone an idea to get rid of that?