Sign in to follow this  
Sindalis

How do I extract the 2da files out of Kotor II data?

Good Evening,

I apologize if this question has been asked before.

I'm trying to merge a new appearance.2da with another that's in my override folder for Kotor II. And the merging tools require a 'base' appearance.2da to compare between them.

I am assuming this 'base' is stored in one of the BIF files in the data directory, most likely 2da.bif... but not sure.

Most importantly though. HOW THE BLOODY HELL DO YOU OPEN ONE?

I have spent like 6 hours searching, and either the instructions everywhere I go are woefully incomplete, missing pictures for instructions, or the programs to open said files don't work on Win7 x64 (or i haven't found a way to MAKE them work yet)

So the question is. how do you extract them to get the raw files?

Or if anyone has or could point me to an unaltered appearance.2da i could move on.

Thank you for your assistance.

I take it your using the convert2DA tool, right? That tool has come in handy quite a number of times for me when dealing with and merging conflicting 2da files.

To get the original game 2da file, you need to extract the file from Kotor Tool by Selecting the BIFs category, then the subcategory 2da.bif, and finally the 2D Array subcategory. The appearance file should be one of the first ten you see. From there, simply press the extract button and choose a location to send the file to. The file is duplicated, not removed from the game altogether.

Kotor Tool can be downloaded here on Deadlystream and can also be used to view and edit the contents of a 2da file.

I'd also recommend making a properly named separate folder for each individual 2da file so that you know where the files you're merging are located, lest to avoid confusion and annoyance.

You have speculated exactly correct

with only one exception.

I've been trying to use the Kotor tool and cant get it to work.

no matter what I do it doesnt recognize my kotor2 install (which is the steam version)

so thus its in a different location and i think THAT might be messing with it.

other than that, it is giving me a .net error on load since it was designed for dotnet 1.1 and not 3.5 (which is what win7 x64 ships with. i think.)

as such, im at a loss of how to get it to actually open to get the files i need.

directions on that would be appreciative.

just for further information. the errors I get when TRYING to open it are below.

kotor_error_1_zps0ac6wxwb.png

for said first image, I dont know what to do to resolve. I gave it the path of the main kotor 2 directory and it still gives this to me. Not sure what its looking for.

Kotor_Error_2_zps7lsscbuh.png

second error. .net error, no bloody idea how to resolve this, still looking to fix error 1 before i get into this