Sign in to follow this  
Shamy

KOTOR and Modding

First of all, I would like to thank all the modders that have contributed in making KOTOR 1 and 2 better, more enjoyable, overall bringing a really awesome experience.

Secondly, I have also started playing KOTOR 2 again, and have installed several mods, such as TSLRCM, the M4-78, and a few others, which improved the music, graphics, etc.

I really have to say that this is my third time playing KOTOR 2, and in my opinion, it is one of the most amazing games I have ever played, and when Star Wars The Old Republic was announced I was so hyped, but unfortunately it became really disappointing. A KOTOR 3 would have been a much better choice ...

However, when I was installing the mods I was thinking, hey, why can't we have like a a single download which includes all of these amazing mods, maybe even more to make KOTOR complete ? But I am not a modder, I have no experience in coding or the sorts, I have recently started using a website which helps with coding, programming languages, but still, I have no clue whatsoever...

So I was wondering, what would you recommend in order for me to start with the building blocks of modding ?

Thank you very much, and I wish you all Happy Holidays !

From my point of view, I would say start with the easy things like using KotOR Tool and learning how to edit items and such like that and then progress to re-skinning and re-creating things. Hope this helps! Merry Christmas to you!

• Like 1

However, when I was installing the mods I was thinking, hey, why can't we have like a a single download which includes all of these amazing mods, maybe even more to make KOTOR complete ?

Three reasons . . .

1) Incompatibility issues between the mods: You are going to have mod conflicts crop up from time to time and sometimes you just can't get them to work together.

2) Permissions: You're not going to obtain permissions to include all of the mods in such a collection. Some of the modders of the popular mods are no longer in the modding scene and there's no way to contact them. No popular site would host a "all in one pack" if all the contributors didn't give their blessing to include their work. (The site moderators on those sites would be more likely to lock the thread and remove any links to such a mod.)

3) Disagreement: Not everyone is going to agree with what you call "the basic building" blocks actually are! What i might call necessary, you might call frivolous.  You might want one saber mod while you want another. And so on.

Hello, I just joined the forums here, being a prospective modder. I actually ran across several links to Holowan Labs in my search for good tutorials (mostly for scripting tutorials, but since I know a bit of NWScript, I shouldn't have too hard a time...). However, Lucasforums appears to be down. I felt this was as good a place as any to ask if there was any other comprehensive modding guides, as the tutorial section here seems somewhat lacking in basics. I have some small experience with Neverwinter Nights, but I'm having a harder time here, since there are no comprehensive toolsets for KoToR.

(For those who were interested, I wanted to make a Total Conversion into a game based partly off of Farscape D20, if only a bastardized version.)

Yeah, usually, you get these tutorials from holowan Labs. There are a few here too, but be reassured, lucasfiles often gets taken down, but gets back, usually no later than a couple days later ;)

Edited by MrPhil

Welcome to the DS Forums, EoinMaloney!

LucasForums is probably backing up their servers. They will be back up later, I'm sure.