Sign in to follow this  
Noxxarian

Editing an existing lightsaber mod

Hi, I'm curious to know how to edit an existing lightsaber mod to tweak the colour.

I really like the hilts of some of the mods, but I would like to ONLY change the lightsaber blade. For example, I would love to give Visas Marr a purple lightsaber, but I'd change the hue of the purple to be a bit darker, leaning on a reddish purple. (Of course, I am aware that this will change the lightsaber item for anyone else who has it, which is fine. I'm more than willing to sacrifice a specific lightsaber so only she gets to have it.) The problem is I am unfamiliar with the exact steps to take on editing the files themselves, and any tutorials I found on building them from scratch are old and, based on feedback, don't seem to work.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! :D 

@NoxxarianFirst check if the lightsaber you want to edit has a blade with dynamic ambient light (like in this mod) or standard non-glowing blade.

if you want to edit the blade of a standard non-glowing purple lightsaber, you will need to edit w_lsabrepurp01.tga texture. If some mode has already edited it, you'll see the file (with .tga or .tpc extension) in your Override folder. Otherwise you will have to extract the file yourself from game resources (ERFs/Texture Packs/swpc_tex_tpa) using Kotor Tool or HolocronToolset. Perhaps, this tool (https://deadlystream.com/files/file/1997-sabermaker-for-kotor-and-tsl/) will make color adjustment process easier for you.

If you've been following KOTOR Mod Build, then most likely you have lightsabers with glowing blades installed. In this case, the process is more complicated. For purple blade you will need to manually edit the texture of core (w lsabcrpurp01.tga), Glow texture (w lsabglpurp01.tga) and the texture of Blade (w lsabblpurp01.tga). Additionally, you can adjust Ambient Light RGB Value, but this will require you to edit the lightsaber hilt file using notepad++ or similar text editor (pdf file with the instruction is in the archive with this mod). For your purposes, it may be sufficient to change just one or two of these textures without editing the lightsaber hilt.

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2024 at 12:13 PM, LoneWanderer said:

@NoxxarianFirst check if the lightsaber you want to edit has a blade with dynamic ambient light (like in this mod) or standard non-glowing blade.

if you want to edit the blade of a standard non-glowing purple lightsaber, you will need to edit w_lsabrepurp01.tga texture. If some mode has already edited it, you'll see the file (with .tga or .tpc extension) in your Override folder. Otherwise you will have to extract the file yourself from game resources (ERFs/Texture Packs/swpc_tex_tpa) using Kotor Tool or HolocronToolset. Perhaps, this tool (https://deadlystream.com/files/file/1997-sabermaker-for-kotor-and-tsl/) will make color adjustment process easier for you.

If you've been following KOTOR Mod Build, then most likely you have lightsabers with glowing blades installed. In this case, the process is more complicated. For purple blade you will need to manually edit the texture of core (w lsabcrpurp01.tga), Glow texture (w lsabglpurp01.tga) and the texture of Blade (w lsabblpurp01.tga). Additionally, you can adjust Ambient Light RGB Value, but this will require you to edit the lightsaber hilt file using notepad++ or similar text editor (pdf file with the instruction is in the archive with this mod). For your purposes, it may be sufficient to change just one or two of these textures without editing the lightsaber hilt.

Thank you for the info! I'll try it out in the coming days and post a quick update :)

(Sorry for the super late response, I was just gathering info at the time, was super busy in the recent weeks, finally getting some time to focus on this!)