Amp2500

Character head preset swap / clothing

I have a general interest in learning how to mod KOTOR but lack the time with work and all - With that being said how hard would it be to create a mod where you can take a (Random Human NPC head) and swap it with one of the main character(s) head upon starting a new game? Also is there a mod that implements the commoners smugglers vest? I have loved that garment since the games release and would like to finally be able to wear it myself. Thanks in advance for any input!  

2 hours ago, Amp2500 said:

how hard would it be to create a mod where you can take a (Random Human NPC head) and swap it with one of the main character(s) head upon starting a new game?

Depends on what you mean by "random".

If you mean "can you create a player-selectable head from pretty much any other head in the game", then yes.

If you mean "can you create a mod where the player gets a completely randomly assigned a head when the game starts", then that is complex. Technically, yes, but realistically, no. While theoretically possible via scripting, that essentially creates a disguise which can cause all sorts of dramas when mixed with other disguises like the Sith Trooper armour, the Sandpeople robes, the spacesuit, and underwater suit.

2 hours ago, Amp2500 said:

is there a mod that implements the commoners smugglers vest?

Not sure of any existing one that does, but it wouldn't be particularly difficult to do. Although only male bodies exist using the vanilla assets.

Thanks for the input - Yeah, essentially it would just be taking let’s say “Jagi’s” NPC head and swapping it so it’s in the player head option in the character creation at the start of a new game. 

What tools would you recommend downloading and using? I’ve done a little reading on forums, but don’t have much foreknowledge on tools such as SKE, and from my understanding KOTOR TOOLS isn’t around anymore or has been replaced…. Thanks again for your input.  

KTool is still around and available for download in the Modding Tools section, although it's generally not recommended for use any more. At least when making mods for public release.

As far as new heads go, utilising an existing NPC head is about as simple as it gets, since you don't need to touch the model or the texture (unless you want to). It's most editing 2DAs, which are just spreadsheets. Unfortunately DS is pretty lacklustre when it comes to basic tutorials for this kind of thing. But it has come up plenty of times over the years though, so here's some reading material for you:

A brief overview of the process that I posted years ago.

LucasForums' "New Appearance" tutorial

LucasForums' "Heads/Portraits.2da Walkthough" tutorial

Regarding Jagi specifically, by default he uses appearance row 191 (Commoner_01_Mal_Black). That points to head 11 (comm_b_m).

Have a read through the above links and post if you get stuck or don't understand something.

For myself, typically when creating a new head mod I just copy an existing TSLPatcher setup for one of my older head mods and edit the values in the ini to point to the appropriate models and texture names. That saves a lot of the manual 2DA editing effort. So I would suggest downloading some head mods and poking through their files to see how they work.

Thanks for the links. I read through them all and found the 2nd article to be most helpful, although I couldn't find the twilek files it talks about except the TPC but it wasn't twilek_m05 in KOTOR Tools, they only went up to _m04 I believe.... Would you have any idea as to where they would be found? 

Again, thanks for the input. I've dabbled with the CK for a tad  bit for Skyrim years ago,  but never really put any heart into it, so to say the least I have 0 experience doing anything.... I'm surprised I was able to install KOTOR tools without any issues...  

That tutorial was for TSL, not K1. Obsidian added some extra head variations in TSL that aren't in the first game.

You shouldn't need to actually touch the model or its texture if you just want Jagi's head. You can just point the 2DAs to the vanilla assets. Although you might want to make a custom portrait.

Edit: Had some time so I whipped up a quick and dirty version for you. Creating a custom portrait for it took the most time by far. Note that it just uses the vanilla model, which means no goggle/mask hooks, and the vanilla texture, so no DS transitions.

K1_Jagi_Player_Head.7z

Wow.... Thank you. That would have taking me probably a week or a month to do...... Essentially could I apply what was done in the configuration file (changes.ini) to other vanilla heads based on whichever code they use? 

I get that these all sound like common sense questions for those who have experience, and much appreciate the help giving.  

20 minutes ago, Amp2500 said:

could I apply what was done in the configuration file (changes.ini) to other vanilla heads

Yes, you'd just need to change the relevant values for the model and textures. That's literally what I did here. Copy and pasted one of my existing head mods and edited the ini. Although note that this is for a male player. You'd need a separate version for female heads, since all the body model references and so forth are different.

Maybe I should create a Powershell script that can spit out an ini with a few prompted user inputs.