Sign in to follow this  
StarSpangledAvenger

TSL for PC - Alternatives to Steam

From what I've read, it's advised to avoid Steam Workshop if you're looking to play and/or mod TSL. Mac users can get it through the Apple Store but when it comes to PC it looks like Steam is the only (or main) option. That's the version Aspyr is offering on their site. I've seen there's a GOG version but it sounds like it's limited. What are you guys using to play/mod TSL in? I'd appreciate any recommendations.

You can always switch back to the LegacyPC version on Steam via Settings/Beta Versions.

Both the GOG version and the LegacyPC version is the same as the disc version. ( so I don't know what you mean by limited )

I mod the Steam/Aspyr version. But I also make mods for the game.

The reason it's best to avoid the Steam workshop is because it doesn't actually install the mods.

It installs them to their own folder and patches them into the game on runtime.

Which essentially limits the user to having one mod installed at a time depending on what the mods change.

For example : if you install two mods that both replace or alter the same file, the second mod you subscribe to on the Steam workshop will take priority for that file.

Where as if you install the mods manually yourself this won't be an issue.

That does not however mean that you can just install all the mods and they will work together, it all depends on what the mod does, what files it alters and how it alters them.

As I understand it, most people just default to using the reddit mod build while other users resort to trial and error and some of us, inspect the mods contents to see how they work.

Regarding what's best, that's all down to the user in question and their level of understanding on the issue at hand.

Hope that helps. ( Though I know it will probably just raise more questions )
Thor110

19 hours ago, Thor110 said:

You can always switch back to the LegacyPC version on Steam via Settings/Beta Versions.

Both the GOG version and the LegacyPC version is the same as the disc version. ( so I don't know what you mean by limited )

I mod the Steam/Aspyr version. But I also make mods for the game.

The reason it's best to avoid the Steam workshop is because it doesn't actually install the mods.

It installs them to their own folder and patches them into the game on runtime.

Which essentially limits the user to having one mod installed at a time depending on what the mods change.

For example : if you install two mods that both replace or alter the same file, the second mod you subscribe to on the Steam workshop will take priority for that file.

Where as if you install the mods manually yourself this won't be an issue.

That does not however mean that you can just install all the mods and they will work together, it all depends on what the mod does, what files it alters and how it alters them.

From what I've read the GOG version has been known to crash in areas or not start at times. Not sure if that's common.

Now I'm wondering if using LegacyPC on Steam and just manually installing the mods is the way to go.

This helps a lot. Thanks!

• Like 1