Sign in to follow this  
Revanite

How to apply the Bith dialogue lipsync animation to a different NPC? - KOTOR 1

Context 

In an effort to overhaul the NPCs of this game, I have replaced the default lite Gran Swoop fans on Manaan with Quarrens. Since Manaan is an aquatic planet it would make a lot of sense to include them here.

1914023001_Screenshot2024-01-24172209.png.d9eb5c49967300cdf9a3905b542c2f1e.png

Straight to the Problem

- I wanted my Quarren to sound like a Bith rather than a Duros.

- By default the Gran Swoop Fan who's originally in that spot uses the Duros voicelines but I changed that to the Bith voicelines instead.

- However I noticed it's mouth won't move when prompted to talk. The Bith voicelines are heard but there's no lipsync animation to it.

- The Quarren was able to lipsync the default Duros voicelines but was unable to do so for the modified dlg file (with the Bith voice) that i've added to the override. 

What's been done

1. Modified the UTC files (man26_swoop003, man26_swoop004), changing their appearance (ie. Default Lite Gran) to a Quarren Model (Courtesy of JC's Dense Aliens for K1)

2. Opened up the dialogue file (tar02a_alien3.dlg) belonging to a Lite Quarren which was seen in the South Apartments of Taris, with the DLG Editor program, to seek reference.

3. Took note of the sound files it uses. Bith sound files are: N_GENBITH_COML1.wav,  N_GENBITH_COMM1.wav,  N_GENBITH_COMS1.wav,  N_GENBITH_GRT.wav

4. In DLG Editor, I opened and modified the target dialogue file (man26_swoop1a.dlg) belonging to the now Quarren which I had converted from it's original Gran appearance.

5. Pasted a bith sound file name to this specific field called Sound.

6. What it should look like is:   Sound  |  N_GENBITH_COML1  |

7. Repeated point no. 6 to the rest of the dialogue lines found in (man26_swoop1a.dlg), but alternating the sound file names in the Sound field for each dialogue line.

8. Saved the dlg file (man26_swoop1a.dlg) and place it into the override.

9. The Quarren is able to say out the various Bith voicelines when prompted, with each Bith line corresponding to the english subtitles, however the mouth never moves.

Querries

- So pertaining to lip-syncing animations how do I solve this?

- Is there a .lip file somewhere in the game files that I forgot to use?

Any other modder correct me if this is a bad idea, but what you could do is extract the default Bith lip sync files. These lip sync files can be found in the lips folder specifically inside the "localization.mod" file.

This file can be accessed via ERFEdit, once inside you should be able to see all the vanilla lip sync files for alien VO. All you'd need to do is extract the Bith lip sync files and place them in your Override folder.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, N-DReW25 said:

Any other modder correct me if this is a bad idea

Lip files should be universal, since all they are is a list of mouth shapes. The individual models have the appropriate animations to suit their particular brand of lip flapping.

• Like 1