Sign in to follow this  
LordRevanJunior

7z and rar files problems on Windows 11

I am new to modding (not someone who creates mods, but more so someone who likes to play with them) outside of the steam workshop. I have a problem where whenever I download a 7z or a rar file my laptop tries to open it through one of the apps on my device like notebook or Microsoft word. When it does this, it is impossible to extract files from the download's archive or find the scripts that I am supposed to run in order to install the mod, etc. 

Thank you for the link. I have unfortunately run into another problem. None of the versions of the 7-Zip that I tried will work either. When I tried running Install.exe I get a message saying that a file named change.ini is missing followed by a message saying that it was unable to load instructions. 

On 12/27/2023 at 10:41 PM, LordRevanJunior said:

I am new to modding (not someone who creates mods, but more so someone who likes to play with them) outside of the steam workshop. I have a problem where whenever I download a 7z or a rar file my laptop tries to open it through one of the apps on my device like notebook or Microsoft word. When it does this, it is impossible to extract files from the download's archive or find the scripts that I am supposed to run in order to install the mod, etc. 

Lets see if we can get this sorted.

First off, if files you are downloading are automatically opening, you can fix that in your web browser by disabling auto-open downloads.

Next you need a tool to actually handle the zipped files. Since you are on windows 11 I would suggest NanaZip - its a continuation of 7zip that works a bit better with modern windows. You can download it from the windows store here, so you dont need to worry about install issues either : https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9N8G7TSCL18R?hl=en-us&gl=US

Once you have this tool installed, you can now actually extract files. 

To do so RIGHT click on the files you downloaded. From here you will see a new option for NanaZip   https://imgur.com/198mls3

After you download the zipped file, RIGHT click on it, hover over Nanazip and Select "Extract to "foldername\" https://imgur.com/fzX9UoX

That should actually get the files extracted. 

Also, it looks like when you click on the files the system is trying to use the wrong program (Word) to open them. You can fix that by opening the start menu and searching "Default apps" then opening "Default apps" in the system settings.

Inside the search box labeled "Enter a file type or link type" search for  .7z then click on the entry. After that select Nanazip as the default program. You can do the same for .rar and .zip files as well so they open in a program that can read them.

Let me know if this was helpful, and if you need anything let me know and I will try to assist.

• Like 2